Your 2024 Garden

Pics
One thing I am planning on for 2024 if more marigolds and zinnias.

Last few years I've seen evidence of root knot nematodes trying to invade my garden. Not at all happy about this. French marigold and zinnia roots are supposed to have a substance that can interrupt their life cycle.

I've been planting them around my tomatoes and cucumbers. It seemed to help a lot this year. So far they don't seem to bother my beans and peas.

So lots of zinnias and marigolds will be scattered through the garden. The bees will be happy about that!
Marigolds, radishes, and nasturtiums are supposed to be pest deterrents. Nasturtiums don't do well here (zone 8) but I love my petite marigolds, tuck them in everywhere. They're actually my favorite flower.

How many folks here have started planning their garden for next year. I'm in the early stages of planning based on how much of what we need to use fresh and preseve by drying, freezing, canning, and pickling.
Only a little, in my head. But soon, on paper. I did get a new greenstalk garden for my birthday in November - which I plan to use for strawberries.
79 days Until Spring! 🌻

They (four o'clocks) are not hardy here. I start them inside when I start tomatoes.

I think they taste bad to most species. My chickens scratch around under them quite often but do not eat them.
Most chickens would know to stay away from those and anything poisonous. I have silkies though. They aren't the brightest bulbs on the planet. ☺️

ONE.PLANT.
IMG_20201126_140050743.jpg

:love

They (four o'clocks) are not hardy here. I start them inside when I start tomatoes.

I think they taste bad to most species. My chickens scratch around under them quite often but do not eat them.
Do yours reseed themselves? I did some more reading about them who raise them up here in the frozen tundra and some said they die every winter and come back every spring from seed. If that's the case, I could buy some seeds once, then be done with it.

Or, could buy some seeds, start them indoors, then steal some seeds from them in the fall and keep doing that.

Nasturtiums don't do well here (zone 8) but I love my petite marigolds, tuck them in everywhere.
I like nasturtiums too especially the variegated one called Alaska. I have grown them from seed a few times. I started them in the greenhouse way before last frost. Sat the pots outside when we didn't get frost. They grew and bloomed well. Soon as the heat started they are done. They are very short lived here so don't do them often. I pulled them before they were completely toast. The chickens loved them.

My mother used to snap off the top of any plant that was starting to bolt. It was supposed to slow down the process.

That's what I do, too. It seems to slow down the spread of the bitterness in the green leaves, but not for very long. Basically, if I see the plant bolt, it's done for the season, and I try to harvest as many leaves as I can before pulling the plant out by the roots.

Back
Top Bottom