Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I just got my Baker Creek catalog today... actually I got two catalogs!

What should I do with the second one? No one around here is serious about gardening.
I got mine today too, along with Seed Savers Exchange!

If I had 2, I’d write and take notes in one, and leave the other just to look at nice & pretty with no writing. 😊

I could look at beautiful produce all day!

How many folks here have started planning their garden for next year. I'm in the early stages of planning based on how much of what we need to use fresh and preseve by drying, freezing, canning, and pickling.
I have two toddlers and this year I did a flower field. In 2024 we are doing a pumpkin patch, flower field, and melons. We want to keep our soil soft and in use, but want things that take up a lot of space and are relatively low maintenance once they are established.

I may have to put a chicken tractor together and let the chickens clean the grass out down to the roots and move on. I could use a rolling hen house and a old fashioned fenced in pen of a 100' long and 20' long. When that is cleared just move the hen house over 20 feet and till the freshly cleared plot.

I may have to put a chicken tractor together and let the chickens clean the grass out down to the roots and move on. I could use a rolling hen house and a old fashioned fenced in pen of a 100' long and 20' long. When that is cleared just move the hen house over 20 feet and till the freshly cleared plot.
The first winter we had chickens, we moved the coop up by the house. It had been down by the garden. Over the winter, I had visions of making a chicken moat to go around the garden, for the chickens to "help me" keep the grass and bugs at bay.

Then I realized how MUCH easier it was to take care of the chickens with their coop up by the house. No walking down that steep hill to the garden and worrying about slipping and falling.

So by the house the coop has stayed. And grown two additions, so now it's too big to be moved.

But I bet they would have really been great at keeping the grass from growing in that area, and they would have really taken care of the grubs!

The first winter we had chickens, we moved the coop up by the house. It had been down by the garden. Over the winter, I had visions of making a chicken moat to go around the garden, for the chickens to "help me" keep the grass and bugs at bay.

Then I realized how MUCH easier it was to take care of the chickens with their coop up by the house. No walking down that steep hill to the garden and worrying about slipping and falling.

So by the house the coop has stayed. And grown two additions, so now it's too big to be moved.

But I bet they would have really been great at keeping the grass from growing in that area, and they would have really taken care of the grubs!
I have coops designed and ready to build that have wheels that can be lowered and then move them with the garden tractor. 8 x 12 hoop coops. I don't have any steep ground to move them over or I'd need a bigger tractor that I can't justify owning.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Gardeners!
I was lucky enough to snag some more garden beds on a black friday sale.
I have a super small back yard but we are making it work with raised beds!
2024 will hopefully be the biggest garden we have yet.

However! I have some questions regarding pests.
Recently an old abandoned house was torn down and we had an explosion of rats on our street.
I have live traps out and snap traps but I am so worried they will destroy my garden in the coming season.

Any other solutions out there outside of poison? As we have pups and chickens in the back yard as well.

We've trapped 5 already and I am unsure how many more their are.

We are zone 6. If that helps at all 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom