Your 2024 Garden

Pics
Really interested in hearing about this! How to prepare, how to make the tea, and what it tastes like.
If you have dried root, you can chop it fine, add any other herbs (licorice root is a good one, they have it at a nearby natural foods store, but mint leaves or chamomile work great if you have those.) Put it into a tea holder, and seep. It is VERY bitter on its own, but licorice root gives a nice sweetness, or you could add lemon & honey.

I make a ton of different types of teas, and have a much higher tolerance for weird and bitter flavors though. 😂

Honey, if you can have bees.
Having bees is not problem. Keeping them here might be. There is little for them to feed on if I don't grow it. That is something on the I want list but know how to do it right has not been determined yet. I have not seen one single honey bee on this property. Only bumble bees and wood boring bees.

Honey, if you can have bees.
I have bees, but won't be harvesting honey until next year. They need all they've made to get through the winter.

I'd never heard honey was good for helping you sleep. What time of day would you have some? I'm guessing just before bed? How much?

I have some from my "bee guy," so it's local.

One other thing I want to find seed for is dandelions. Chickens love them and they are so easy to sow right over a stand of pasture sod. They hang on during a drought or freezes.
I'm still trying to process someone wanting dandelions.

Some people will spend too much on weed control (nasty poisons) trying to get rid of them. I usually let them go in the yard, but I don't like them in the garden or flower beds. (Those deep roots are hard to get rid out!)
:lau

If I hadn't seen them advertised in a catalog, I would have thought this was a joke. They grow everywhere here. Ev.Er.Y.where.
Here too! Most people want to get rid of them!
I have never heard of anyone wanting to plant dandelions. They are all over here in Ohio. And I found out recently how usable they are. They aren't just a weed. Yes, I've eaten dandelion greens before but even the flowers and roots can be made into teas that are beneficial to gut and immune health
Agree.
I've never had dandelion greens but know some people who have. My SIL made dandelion jelly this year--smells like honey.

Are you too far south? Does anyone know how far north or south dandelion grows???
"Dandelions are found throughout all of the US and Canada, as they tolerate a wide range of conditions. Despite the efforts of many to rid their lawns of them today, in the past the dandelion was held in much higher regard and recognized for its medicinal, aesthetic, and nutritive benefits." Zones 3-9

So, pretty much anywhere in the US.

... honey ...helping you sleep. What time of day would you have some? I'm guessing just before bed? How much?
It is what my mom and grandmas gave us. Not that we had much trouble sleeping unless we were sick, so I searched it in case it helped with the being sick rather than sleeping per se. The results said it does help with sleep separate from cold symptoms. Something to do with releasing melatonin.

We were given a spoonful. Yes, on the way to bed.

Edit it fix autocorrect nonsense

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom