Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I don't go through celery often enough to make planting it worthwhile. So, like you are planning, washed and into quart sized bags they go. For my peppers, I flash freeze them first. Never have done that with celery
By that you mean, lay them on a cookie sheet uncovered and put in the freezer? We did that once with kale. Just froze the leaves for an hour then bagged them up. That worked pretty well. I just never did that with anything else.

By that you mean, lay them on a cookie sheet uncovered and put in the freezer? We did that once with kale. Just froze the leaves for an hour then bagged them up. That worked pretty well. I just never did that with anything else.
Yup, that's what I mean. I do that with everything that may stick together once frozen. I also put parchment paper on the cookie sheet, keeps the produce from sticking

You can also flash freeze okra that has been cut for frying. I probably works best if dry blanched in the oven and then flash frozen. It can then be fried or used in soup.

Last year we didn't plant okra. Year before last we had 2 decent rows and pickled, froze, and dehydrated. There is still some left but not enough to last much longer. I think this year we will plant 4 rows and freeze more in vacuum sealed bags and will try to test a light dusting with cornmeal on some to see how that turns out. We've been freezing it plain so it could be used to make okra salad or fried okra.

Anytime I cook with celery, carrots, or onions, I save the ends and scraps and freeze them. Then when I go to make my homemade chicken or turkey stock, I can just throw in all those veggies from the freezer
Ditto! I have a big bag of what would have gone into the compost in a bag. "Free" broth ingredients.
My main focus will hopefully be luffa gourds next year.
Oh, man, the more I read about luffa, the more amazed I am that I was able to get ONE. Long season = I need to start them inside. Not frost tolerant AT ALL. I lost 3 out of 4 in our last freeze last May 26th.
The canner holds 14 quarts at a time
Wow, that's a BIG canner! And heavy, when it's full!
I usually order seeds (& chicks!) in February
I try to order seeds in December/January. I have been too late and out of luck a couple times for some varieties that I wanted to try. Definitely going to order sweet potato slips in December.

Another reason I like to order in December/January... December = a Christmas present for me. January = hope for spring when I really need it. I still need that in February, but by then, the days are a bit longer, the sun is a bit higher in the sky, and I feel less "hemmed in" by the dark and cold.

Plans will likely change over the next few weeks.

So far, I'm looking at expanding salad greens the most. Specifically corn salad, purslane, more/different lettuce varieties, maybe Japanese mountain spinach. And paying more attention to radishes - smaller numbers planted more often and maybe more varieties.

Eggplant was new for us last year and an outstanding success. I want to plant the same variety again and another variety or two.

Brussel sprouts were also new to us last year and failed. I'm thinking we will try again but only a plant or two.

After I planted the potatoes last year, I learned potatoes come in determinant and indeterminate like tomatoes do. I want to look into that before choosing varieties for next year.

I want to start more kinds of flowers next year. I like single blossom types to help the bees and garden centers tend to favor double blossomed varieties. Besides, it is fun and satisfying to start my own.

Yellow disco marigolds are my favorites. Cosmos did well and I want enough to let the chickens eat as much as they like of them.

Four o'clocks volunteered very successfully so I plan to start only a few seedlings for earlier blossoms.
I love marigolds, plant them all over.

Bees love Borage, try growing some where you want bees.

My raised bed kits arrived...in the rain, after dark. No idea they were outside on the porch.
IMG_20231126_182420922.jpg

Why don't delivery people knock anymore?

The boxes were only a little damp on the ends. They're now safely stored in the shed.

Merry Christmas to me. :love

I need to plant marigold out in the area where the layers free range and see if they really will effect the color in their eggs. Marigolds also are supposedly a natural medicine for them. I don't know and don't believe everything l see people selling with out proof.

Back
Top Bottom