Your 2024 Garden

Pics
Broccoli and Artichoke i have a lot of trouble growing.
I've never tried artichoke but some years I get a couple nice looking broccoli going, other years it's a struggle and sprouts keep dying or flopping or just not producing much of a head at all. Last year I only got a few handfuls of florets.

I've never tried artichoke but some years I get a couple nice looking broccoli going, other years it's a struggle and sprouts keep dying or flopping or just not producing much of a head at all. Last year I only got a few handfuls of florets.
I will have to keep trying broccoli. I would like to grow it.
Watermelons are a little tricky here too. Well worth it if they are good though.

Last edited:
Cabbage is IMO the easiest of the three. I struggle with broccoli mostly in trying to get the head big enough to justify harvesting, but to cut it before it starts opening up. For the amount of space the plant takes up, cabbage and cauliflower give me better yields.
You may need to try several varieties to get one that does well in your zone and growing methods. I've grown a lot of it while in NW MO but not since. I will plant at least 3 varieties this coming year to see what I can do with it. I also want to grow some orange and other colors of cauliflower. I used rubber bands before to tie the leaves over the heads. The organic worm control is a must if you want head that don't look like Swiss Cheese.

You may need to try several varieties to get one that does well in your zone and growing methods. I've grown a lot of it while in NW MO but not since. I will plant at least 3 varieties this coming year to see what I can do with it. I also want to grow some orange and other colors of cauliflower. I used rubber bands before to tie the leaves over the heads. The organic worm control is a must if you want head that don't look like Swiss Cheese.
I'll probably skip the broccoli this year since I could dedicate that space to cauliflower instead (or maybe I'll try rapini or broccolini instead).

The cauliflower I've been growing is green, so I've never had need to blanch the heads. Haven't had a problem with pests so far with it🤞

My main focus will hopefully be luffa gourds next year. I'm real good at peas, so those will go again too
Never grown the luffa gourds but should.
One other vegetable I need to find seed for is something called a Guinea Bean. Light green and eaten at a tender stage like summer squash. They get quite large and produce a lot of food in a small space. Unique flavor that I can't begin to describe.

Oh man. Now I'm looking into making my own chili powder! Why have I not thought of this before? I do my own tomato powder and onion powder. "Honey, might need to expand the garden again."
No reason not to bottle your own line of hot pepper sauce too. I want to grow some Ghost Pepper this year.

I'll probably skip the broccoli this year since I could dedicate that space to cauliflower instead (or maybe I'll try rapini or broccolini instead).

The cauliflower I've been growing is green, so I've never had need to blanch the heads. Haven't had a problem with pests so far with it🤞
Brussels Sprouts take up a similar amount of space if you are interested.

I juice the stems and leaves of cauliflower and broccoli, so nothing goes to waste here! Any extra bits go to the chickens.

I think it is ground cayenne powder that is put on sunflower seed to keep the squirrels from stealing them.
Brussels Sprouts take up a similar amount of space if you are interested.

I juice the stems and leaves of cauliflower and broccoli, so nothing goes to waste here! Any extra bits go to the chickens.
I planted Brussels sprouts last year and not a plant made. Even with well water irrigation they just didn't thrive. I just don't have a clue but I'm not giving up. I'm going to move them to a different location and try again. They are one of our favorite vegetables and freeze well. Love them fresh done on the grill too.

Back
Top Bottom