Young broody didn't get up today

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi! My young broody didn't come out today.. I know that for sure... She looks fine, sitting, puffing when we get closer.. thats about day 12 so no chicks yet I bet, therefore no reason why stays all day without a break.
Is that ok? Should anything be done??

Hi! My young broody didn't come out today.. I know that for sure... She looks fine, sitting, puffing when we get closer.. thats about day 12 so no chicks yet I bet, therefore no reason why stays all day without a break.
Is that ok? Should anything be done??
I'd say get a small waterer and a small fedled bowl or cup for food. She should have all she needs. She probably doesn't want to be taking any risks of hens laying in her nest whole she's gone. My broody does that a lot when she's broody.

When broody hens won't get off their nests all day and they don't have food or water nearby l, they will loose tons of weight. I had a hen that almost died because she wouldn't get up and I didn't realize it.

I on the other hand will NOT put food and water next to a sitting broody until chicks are hatching.. as their digestive system is slowed and she NEEDS to leave the nest to poop.

I got NO problem making a broody leave the nest once or twice per day if I know she hasn't or am unsure.. a truly broody hen will not be detoured by this action. You can also check her crop and see if it's empty or not.. and verify indeed that you didn't just miss seeing her come out. Maybe check eggs are still clean and not pooped on.

How many eggs are under her? Are they marked to discern if new eggs are being added by other ladies? Have you candled them to check development?

Hope she has excellent success! :fl

Back
Top Bottom