YO GEORGIANS! :)

All the northerners are making fun of us in the south for talking about needing heat. They are talking about winterizing their coop and adding heat...when it hits the single digits and subzero.

All the northerners are making fun of us in the south for talking about needing heat. They are talking about winterizing their coop and adding heat...when it hits the single digits and subzero.
This is our first year to have chickens and I'm trying to find out all I can to do things right so getting laughed at is ok with me. We have ventilation in the top of the coops so that the air doesn't blow across the chickens on the roost. I just didn't know when a little heat was actually needed.

Mine are only between 3 and 8 weeks old so i am leaving the heat in the coop until the chicks all are at least 6 weeks old. At that point i plan to start weening them off the heat lamp during the middle of the day and only using it at night. Unfortunately i have naked necks, silkies and showgirls and i am not willing to trust their fluffy little feathers to keep them warm quite yet.

Mine are only between 3 and 8 weeks old so i am leaving the heat in the coop until the chicks all are at least 6 weeks old. At that point i plan to start weening them off the heat lamp during the middle of the day and only using it at night. Unfortunately i have naked necks, silkies and showgirls and i am not willing to trust their fluffy little feathers to keep them warm quite yet.

Great link! Thanks! We have 6 Silkies mixed in with our larger breeds and that is one reason i wanted to know about needing heat. Let me know if you find out.

Hey all. It's been crazy busy around here and I haven't gotten a chance to update.

As you might remember my dead beat broody hen stopped sitting at 10 days. I tried to get an incubator built but had issues with the temp. By the time I got it fixed up and working all the babies had died. We did an eggtopsy to see how far along they were and I think they lived between 11-15 days. I was a day too late to save a couple... if they would have even survived anyway. Well I had put so much work into that bator that I just had to get some eggs in there. Book was kind enough to give me 4 more Maran eggs and I bought 3 cream legbar eggs from a local. I was trying to 6 CL but her hens weren't cooperating.

So they have been in the bator for 7 days and I am going to candle tonight to mark the air cells. I looked last night and I am pretty sure they all have veins. The maran are harder to see into, so today I got a brighter LED flash light in hopes i can see them a little better. Fingers crossed! :)

Back
Top Bottom