Yet another Guinea question?

Standard Hen

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Massachusetts
I received three Guinea's in May who are 1 year old this month, 2 females and one male. I have had them in lockdown in their own pen and was told to leave them in there for at least three months for them to acclimate to where they now live. They are used to being with chickens as the woman who they came from had them with hers. I had them with mine for a short while and then I got 12 baby chicks so had to move things around. They fit right in with the chickens and there were no problems,they actually seemed to like them very much.
Now, I was in my feed store yesterday and heard a woman talking about Guinea's so we started chatting. She said she has about 30 of them. Anyway she told me that no matter how long I keep them in that pen as soon as I let them out they are going to take off, that you have to get them as keets.Is this in fact true and am I going through all this extra work for nothing?????

I've never had a guinea run off, and I only kept the adults confined for about a week before letting them free-range. I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Awsome! They I know would love to get out and free range. I threw some grass and weeds in there this morning (they chewed everything down that was in there) and they went nuts. I have so many bugs around here with horses etc. that I know they will have a party. How much longer do you think I should give them in the pen. I have had them now about 1 month and I do know the woman who I got them from had given them to her neighbor about a mile down the road from where she lives and she said they found their way back in a week. That will not happen this time as they are about 40 miles from home now!

I would leave them up for at least a couple more weeks. Meantime, get them used to eating at sunset if they aren't already. Then let out just one guinea towards the end of the day, leave the rest in the pen. Help him go back in when you feed them at sunset. Repeat this for a couple weeks. Then they should have the idea. Guineas are all about habits and routine. If you can establish the routine you want, they will stick to it.

Back
Top Bottom