Wyandotte with Wry Neck?

espers

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
Hi everyone - we got a group of 9 new chicks about 2.5-3 months ago. They were all doing fine, and 8 of them are already outside and thriving, but this one Wyandotte, who we believe is a cockerel, suddenly was struggling one day with his face down and having difficulties walking forward. We separated him from the rest, did some research and it seemed like wry neck was the most likely issue. We would have consulted a vet but the closest livestock vet to us is some hours away.

That being said, and from what we've read, we've been trying to give him some supplements as well as vitamin E daily. He's had a couple of okay days where you could tell he was trying to raise his head up, but over the course of about 2.5 weeks he hasn't shown much improvement.

I wanted to get a second opinion and see if my assumption about wry neck is correct and if the course of action we're taking is best. I'm happy to continue treating him to see if he improves, but I also don't want to see him suffer by holding on longer than necessary. For what it's worth, he is taking the vitamin E we're giving him, he's eating, drinking, and sleeping fine and seems okay minus the obvious neck issue and balance when trying to walk.

Thank you for reading.

Here are two pics from today:
1714955046301.png
1714955062877.png

How old is he now? How much vitamin E have you been giving him daily? 400 IU is a good dose, and I would also give a little scrambled egg and 1/4 tablet of human B complex each day for at least 2 more weeks. Could he have suffered a head injury? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease?

How old is he now? How much vitamin E have you been giving him daily? 400 IU is a good dose, and I would also give a little scrambled egg and 1/4 tablet of human B complex each day for at least 2 more weeks. Could he have suffered a head injury? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease?
He's around 10 weeks old (so roughly 3 months). That's about the dosage we are giving him and also the B complex, too. I'll try and add some scrambled egg.

It's possible he could have suffered a head injury. The enclosure I had him and the other 8 in when he started acting up about 2.5 weeks ago was fairly large and tall to accommodate all of them. I think that's what my partner is afraid of - he tried to possibly fly out of the top which we had chicken netting covering, then he maybe got stuck and/or fell from there.

Not vaccinated for Marek's. The hatchery that ships to the local store we purchased them from did not vaccinate the ones they send to them.

Back
Top Bottom