Wyandotte Color Question?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
I hatched this pullet out of a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte flock.
She does have a straight comb, the breeder has never owned a straight comb wyandotte and has been breeding them for 7 plus years
Would she be considered Blue laced Gold or Black Laced Gold?
20240316_132610.jpg
20240329_082315.jpg
20240329_082445.jpg

20240329_082452.jpg

Yep, she's a black laced red. Because of the nature of the black/blue/splash gene you can get a black chicken from blue parents.

The chickens shown here are, front to back, a splash laced red, blue laced red, and black laced red. A chicken is black they have bl+/bl+, if they are blue they have Bl/bl+, and if they are splash they have Bl/Bl.

Since your chicken is black laced she couldn't have had a splash parent (otherwise she'd be blue or splash herself), but her parents could have been either black or blue or one of each.

The single comb is recessive, so it's possible it's been hiding in the breeder's line.

The breeder now only has blue laced red and no longer splashed or black so now if i wanted i could hatch just blues.

The breeder now only has blue laced red and no longer splashed or black so now if i wanted i could hatch just blues.
Sorry if I'm repeating something you already know --to clarify, because of the way the BBS genetics work, even if you breed two blues together only 50% of the offspring will be blue, 25% will be splash, 25% black.

Sorry if I'm repeating something you already know --to clarify, because of the way the BBS genetics work, even if you breed two blues together only 50% of the offspring will be blue, 25% will be splash, 25% black.
Yeah i still understand that, sorry if it was wrote wrong. I mean if i hatched again i have a higher chance of getting blue rather than black although splash are quite pretty!

Back
Top Bottom