Wry tail, something else or genetic? Rumpy maybe?

ChicksnMore

😉
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Arizona
I got a few alohas 5-6 months ago and tried to pick all hens. One of them I've been watching closely for a while. It had no tail for the longest time. When it finally started getting tail feathers it also started to look roosterish. But it's tail is weird. This morning I isolated it on the porch while I did some yard work and sure enough, it crowed. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? It's tail doesn't twist to the side but it's spine is rounder then I'm used to seeing...not real bad, just a barely round shape to the back itself...not just the tail area. It acts healthy, active and rambunctious but does have a slightly odd gait. What tail feathers it has are rounded. It's hackles are not strong, clear rooster feathers either though it has some pointy feathers there.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
20230107_131723.jpg
20230107_131704.jpg
20230107_131350.jpg

I have a hen that has a tail that looks a bit like that, although its a bit worse.
Its fixed in position, so I came to the conclusion that its a bad case of wry tail.
She hasn't had any problems, but I won't breed from her.

Looks like a low set tail, not completely abnormal.

The question to rule out a deformity: Can he move it, side to side, up, & down?
I went and picked him up to see if he'd move his tail for balance. No up, down or sideways but he did fan it. I felt to see if I could feel a tail nub and there is a very small nubbin... barely there and barely able to feel.

I have a hen that has a tail that looks a bit like that, although its a bit worse.
Its fixed in position, so I came to the conclusion that its a bad case of wry tail.
She hasn't had any problems, but I won't breed from her.
Luckily I didn't plan on breeding these. Trying to decide if I need to cull him or not. If he's a healthy rumpy then might see if the breeder would like him back... otherwise I think I need to cull him.

I went and picked him up to see if he'd move his tail for balance. No up, down or sideways but he did fan it. I felt to see if I could feel a tail nub and there is a very small nubbin... barely there and barely able to feel.
Are you able to move it, see in fact there is joints?

Back
Top Bottom