Would this coop/run idea work?

Oxymoronica

Hatching
Mar 28, 2022
My very first batch of ducklings (4 Welsh harlequins and maybe some silver Appleyards eventually, but not at first) will be delivered in May. So I have a few months to prepare for the winter time, but I live in Ohio, so our weather can be a bit unpredictable at times.

Essentially, I am thinking of getting this (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...versal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808-1333983) and covering the top with a tarp for shade/waterproofing. For insulation, I want to line straw bales around either the outside or inside edges up to a height of about 4 ish feet, to block the wind, and leaving the top 2 feet open for ventilation. I would also provide a thick layer of hay on the ground. If necessary, I could also build a sort of "doorway" from straw bales to block as much wind as possible. The bottom, I plan to either line with some buried hardware cloth or another dig-deterrent.

I guess my question is, will that be sufficient insulation/wind blocking/shade/protection to serve as a nighttime duck house? Or do I also need to provide a wooden box, a dog house, or some other sort of thing on the interior for my ducks to seek extra shelter? During the day the ducks will be let out into my (smallish, very suburban, fenced) backyard, but on days where I have to be away from the house for multiple hours, I wanted the ducks to have a protected place to stay and play that isn't a tiny, cooped up box.

I see so many cool DIY ideas but honestly I am NOT handy at all and the thought of trying to build one of those structures is completely intimidating. So, if my above idea will NOT work, does anyone have any better suggestions for a pre-fab or EASY DIY duck house? I can buy a dog kennel but I do not have a shed, dollhouse, or other things I see people posting like that.

Edited to add: Where I am, it can go from -5 in the winter with snow and wind and sleet to 90+ in the summers.

Last edited:
:welcome
they are going to need protection from the elements. what your want will make a nice run but they need housing for overnight. A large dog house modified to accommodate your ducks like ventilation and a door so they can be safely locked up at night. It will also give them a place to lay their eggs. Start looking on Craigslist for dog houses and sometimes even chicken coops/duck houses in the farm section.
Here is something else to look into https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-coop-section-helpful-thread-index.206328/

https://morningchores.com/duck-house-plan
Maybe you know someone who would built you a simple duck house? They don't need anything fancy just something for laying and staying safe and out of the elements.

Last edited:
You can build a sizable hoop coop plus a small pond for the price. :]
Do you have any links to super easy hoop coop + pond plans? I'm not joking when I say I am not a handy person... So anything too complex is probably not going to happen! Lol

:welcome
they are going to need protection from the elements. what your want will make a nice run but they need housing for overnight. A large dog house modified to accommodate your ducks like ventilation and a door so they can be safely locked up at night. It will also give them a place to lay their eggs. Start looking on Craigslist for dog houses and sometimes even chicken coops/duck houses in the farm section.
Here is something else to look into https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-coop-section-helpful-thread-index.206328/

https://morningchores.com/duck-house-plan
Maybe you know someone who would built you a simple duck house? They don't need anything fancy just something for laying and staying safe and out of the elements.
My dad may be able to help me out, but I'm not sure yet.

In the meantime, in case I get these ducks before I've figured out a permanent fix, would it be feasible to house them in like an XXL 56" wire dog crate inside my garage at night? Outside during the day of course. I could wrap a tarp around the bottom half to cut down on straw/poop flying everywhere, but I am okay with a bit of mess as long as it's not horrific.

My dad may be able to help me out, but I'm not sure yet.

In the meantime, in case I get these ducks before I've figured out a permanent fix, would it be feasible to house them in like an XXL 56" wire dog crate inside my garage at night? Outside during the day of course. I could wrap a tarp around the bottom half to cut down on straw/poop flying everywhere, but I am okay with a bit of mess as long as it's not horrific.
Are you talking as ducklings or once they’re old enough to go outside?

If we’re talking when they’re ready to live outside I don’t think putting them in the garage would be necessary. Just put the temporary crate and tarp in the poultry pen you’re getting. But I would cover more than just the bottom with the tarp. I would also only use this wire crate as a temporary solution.

Essentially, I am thinking of getting this (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...versal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808-1333983) and covering the top with a tarp for shade/waterproofing. For insulation, I want to line straw bales around either the outside or inside edges up to a height of about 4 ish feet, to block the wind, and leaving the top 2 feet open for ventilation. I would also provide a thick layer of hay on the ground. If necessary, I could also build a sort of "doorway" from straw bales to block as much wind as possible. The bottom, I plan to either line with some buried hardware cloth or another dig-deterrent.
So you're talking about a roof (tarp) and walls (straw bales), with the metal frame to keep out predators and hold it all up?

For summer, I'm sure it would be enough (and you might not even need the straw bales on all sides.) For winter, I don't know enough about ducks in your climate to be sure.

For winter, I think you need wind-blocking but insulation doesn't really matter, so you could probably choose either tarps or straw bales around the walls.

Many tarps will wear out in a year or less, and of course the straw will start to rot at some point, so you would need to plan on redoing that regularly (maybe each fall.) But being able to remove the "walls" for the summer would be very handy!

...A large dog house...
For nighttime housing, how many square feet per duck would you recommend?

Are you talking as ducklings or once they’re old enough to go outside?

If we’re talking when they’re ready to live outside I don’t think putting them in the garage would be necessary. Just put the temporary crate and tarp in the poultry pen you’re getting. But I would cover more than just the bottom with the tarp. I would also only use this wire crate as a temporary solution.
Yes, only as mature ducks. As ducklings, they'll be in a kiddie pool in my house so I can keep a close eye and temp control.

So you're talking about a roof (tarp) and walls (straw bales), with the metal frame to keep out predators and hold it all up?

For summer, I'm sure it would be enough (and you might not even need the straw bales on all sides.) For winter, I don't know enough about ducks in your climate to be sure.

For winter, I think you need wind-blocking but insulation doesn't really matter, so you could probably choose either tarps or straw bales around the walls.

Many tarps will wear out in a year or less, and of course the straw will start to rot at some point, so you would need to plan on redoing that regularly (maybe each fall.) But being able to remove the "walls" for the summer would be very handy!

Yes, exactly, a roof of tarp and walls of straw that I would remove in the summer. I figure I'll be going through a lot of straw as bedding, so it would be refreshed in that way - just use the oldest one first.

I think the plan I have in my head is going to be fine for summer and for predator-proofing. My biggest worry is just that they'll get too cold overnight in the winter.

And if they do (or if we get a particularly harsh night with wind and freezing temps) the dog crate in the garage is always an option.

I would use a 56" crate, because I want them to be comfy.

https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2018/10/how-much-space-should-i-have-for-my.html

Back
Top Bottom