Wormer for Peafowl

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
I have a male peacock he is about year and a half old, I noticed he is a little inactive and kind of droopy. Just walking around slowly not looking like he feels well.
No nasal discharge,sneezing, coughing, discolored droppings an he has been eating everyday.
I suspect worms as he and his hen have never been in contact with and type of other fowl so any disease is out of the question.
Been reading on several sites about Ivermectin being the best wormer for peafowl. They have never been handled so catching them to put medicine in their mouth isn't happening.
Is there Ivermectin that you can add to water? Whats the rate to put in a Gallon waterer? Is there any other wormer that would do better?

In between wormings you can use DE that is designed for internal use on poultry to help with worms. I use some in their food as well, it has worked very well cayenne pepper can help with worms but regular chemical wormings should still be done.
DE is a waste of money.

Best to have routine fecals done and use proper amounts of wormers that will treat whatever worms one has.

-Kathy

Quote:
My peafowl are very picky, I try to give them things but they just look at it and walk away. Can I put a small amount of the paste kind in the grape? I will have to get them to eating grapes they are just so picky they won't even eat scratch grains. I have given them cantaloupe they seemed to like that and love sunflower seeds they would eat a 50lb bag of those.
They are very quiet too I thought peafowl were very loud mine never make a peep except to honk at the neighbors cat
gig.gif

In between wormings you can use DE that is designed for internal use on poultry to help with worms. I use some in their food as well, it has worked very well cayenne pepper can help with worms but regular chemical wormings should still be done.

I have a very good friend who has his own feed mixed by the local co-op and has DE put into the recipe. He says basically the same thing, 'works for me'. The problem is he doesn't know why his birds die.

Please don't think we are picking on you or denigrating you in any way. We just see a lot of antidotal statements made that lead to other people killing their birds with poor information. I have been one of those people that lost birds because I believed I was doing the right thing according to the advice I found on the internet. The result looked like this;

DE is a waste of money.

Best to have routine fecals done and use proper amounts of wormers that will treat whatever worms one has.

-Kathy

I am so loving my microscope! It is such a great help to be able to run an exam whenever I think I might have a problem in between regular worming schedules.

Just two weeks ago we have a pen with broody chickens next to a pen with peas that had an abnormal poo. The chickens had cocci so I ran tests on the adjacent pen, no cocci present on the slide. What a relief!

Oh no I totally understand I should have phrased my response better. I do use Wazine as a wormer and do so regularly but in between wormings I use cayenne pepper and DE. I know they are no substitute for chemical wormers but after losing birds last year I am using every method at my disposal to keep worms from becoming a problem again. I figure that while they are not as effective as the Wazine they certainly can't hurt.

Wazine kills roundworms. Wazine does NOT kill cecal worms. It does not kill the worms that can infect your birds with blackhead. Wazine does not kill gapeworms. Wazine is VERY LIMITED in the kinds of worms that it kills.

Here's info from the Merck vet manual about blackhead:

Quote:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/histomoniasis/overview_of_histomoniasis_in_poultry.html

Fenbendazole and albendazole are "benzimidazole anthelmintics" -- wormers in the category that kill the worms which carry blackhead protozoa.

Using Wazine does not protect peafowl from blackhead.

@PeacockMan

Not likely to do any good Kathy, he propagates a lot of misinformation on his FB page Peacocks Only and every now and again he will do a drive by here to keep the old myths alive.

Now after saying that and overlooking his 'safeguard will suppress worm eggs from hatching' comment, which it won't, I have mixed safeguard in pretty much the same manner. The difference is that I count the birds, I know how much they will eat in a day, and put the correct amount of Safeguard in the feed. That will work but it does take a bit of preparation knowing how much they will eat in a day.

If your birds are used to eating dry crumbles you also need to make the mix dry by not using too much water in the safeguard suspension. (Worm water,
big_smile.png
)

I have also put Valbazen in the water in much the same way. I first have to know how much the pen of birds will drink in a day. Count the number of birds and figure how much Valbazen to put in the water. In my case I will use 1/4 ml for small birds and 1/2 ml for large birds. Fecals I have run show this will work if enough of the medication is used and all the water drank in a 24 hour period.

So I just did a quick test... 15 2016 birds @ ~2.2 kg each will eat 5 pounds of food in about six hours.

Safeguard needed would be:
15 x 2.5 = 37.5 kg
37.5 x 50 / 100 = 18. 75 ml of Safeguard per in five pounds of feed

If I were going to do the wormer in the feed this is about how much I would use, and I would do it for 5 days if I wanted to treat for more than large roundworms and/or cecal worms.

-Kathy

Thanks so much for all the reply's, I got the safeguard goat wormer 10% suspension. I will be doing the 3 cc to a gallon waterer since it's just a pair of peafowl.
Thanks again
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom