Worm and protozoa control

avon102

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
I have 6 backyard chickens, a dog and 3 girls plus their friends. I have been reading about worm control in chickens and am concerned about my children and my dog getting infected. Can anyone give me a schedule and/or products for keeping my chickens parasite free? We have really enjoyed our pets and our girls have learned so much. avon102:cool:

I would first suggest you take a poop sample to the vet to see if they have worms. Some folks like myself worm their birds on a regular basis and some folks don't. I do because my birds are keep penned all the time and can't get to plants and such that would be natural wormers.

I rotate between Wazine and Eprinex every 6 months. May try something different next year though so that the parasites don't become resistant.

I don't worm until I have a problem. My present flock going on 2 years old have never been wormed.
My happy healthy flock laying through this winter doesn't need to be given anything for worms, because it would not be in my flocks best intrest.
I really want a healthy flock, and over medication isn't in the program.

If you need to worm your birds on a scheduled basis, a good program would be to worm right after the molt, before the hens really start to lay again. Usually you need to wait a couple of weeks before you start to consume the eggs again, and by worming at that time you would be in a window, not wasting alot of good eggs.

Good Luck, bizio

Quote:
Thank you for your help. We had never wormed either, then we lost 3 hens, bam bam bam, to what the vet said was worms, so we want to do something. Thank you again.

Tricia

Worm wood for one but it can be toxic also. There are several others but this being a work weekend my brain is fried and I can't think straight. I will do some look ups tomorrow and find out the info for you.

smile.png

Thanks Wes. No rush.

Last edited:
I, like alot of people, am concerned about medicated something you are going to eat. What is anyone thoughts about vaccinating, vitamins etc. I would lean toward nothing "extra" but I'd like more experienced opinions.

Thanks,
Cresty in NC

Regarding "natural wormers" well this is more useful in the MANGEMENT of worms... There is a natural balance in the birds internal system which keeps the "natural" (internal) population of not only worms/ protozoa in check but also things like E-Coli and Salmonella...they might take a "peck" at several different things that can help keep the "natural " internal population of worms and protozoa at bay...also free-ranging different areas at different times etc...
However...when the birds are stressed or challenged (think cold/wet/heat etc. etc.) this balance is quickly lost and the internal populations explodes causing illness and often internal damage to the intestines which are crucial to the birds immune system ... these naturally occuring plants etc. will generally NOT be sufficent in these cases to treat an active infestation which is causing illness or there will be toxicity issues with the natural plants or herbs which the layman will or can have little control over. Get a faecal as most wormers are not going to treat all the different worms which may be causing your birds to be ill.
Worms and protozoa (particularly coccidia) WILL kill your birds...follow the withdrawal schedule for the birds (this means you wait a couple weeks before slaghter or eating the eggs after medicating) and you should have no worries.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom