Working on a coop build. Come check it out

I'm working on this chicken coop build for my brother in law.

Is this your own design or did you get the idea from somewhere else? I'd be interested to find out how well it works and what changes you make once you put it into use. I know I made a few minor modifications to my coop after I built it, and probably would change a few things on a future build. It's a learning experience.

Just a few more questions I don't think have been asked yet.... How do you collect the eggs? And, how do you clean out the coop? I know you said it will have a wire floor, but won't you still have to get in there to clean down the wire at some point?

I do like the concept of the elevated coop so that ground space underneath the coop can be consider as usable footage for the chicken run. I just have never seen it in an A-Frame type design. First thing I thought of was an A-Frame coop design might be great for us in the northern snow states. One could easily toss a plastic covering sheet over the A-Frame and the chickens would be able to go out into the run in the wintertime. I live in northern Minnesota, and my chickens basically live in their coop from first snowfall until spring melt. It's a long winter in the coop.

So, I hope you continue to update this thread and tell us how well the coop is working for your brother-in-law. Great for you to help building a coop for him.

This is not my design. Brother in law provided me this pic and asked me to build it. The main purpose for this coop will be to introduce his 3 month old olive eggers to his older crabbier hens. This coop will be placed inside the crabby ladies large chicken run to get them good and aquatinted. He's had problems with these hens not accepting other chickens. They bit the combes of white leghorn pullets last fall.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 3
Nice coop. There is nothing wrong with your design, unless im wrong and you sealed the ends, each rib and the fold over the tops allows plenty of ventilation.

As a resident of the Steamy Southeast, I strongly suggest that you pull the siding off the interior wall and cut a triangle at the top of the outer wall for ventilation.

Ventilation is key to good health in birds because they have extremely delicate respiratory systems.

Having done that, you don't even actually need a floor in the roosting area -- especially since this is simply a temporary introduction pen. Just put a roost into the sheltered area and the birds will be able to get out of the weather.

Heat and humidity rises so ventilation is really based on what's up top :)

Yes, this. AirFLOW is what's critical.

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

It will allow some ventilation, but not "plenty"...especially in the OP's climate.
I strongly disagree with you. How much metal roofing have you worked with? There isn't a place for heat to build up when built that way. Both ends of every rib is open, plus an entirely open bottom. Plenty of ventilation....

I strongly disagree with you. How much metal roofing have you worked with? There isn't a place for heat to build up when built that way. Both ends of every rib is open, plus an entirely open bottom. Plenty of ventilation....

Chickens need square feet of ventilation, not square inches. :)

If the coop is warmer inside than outside then the ventilation is inadequate.

it will be fine. My south Louisiana chickens have always stayed out of coop during daylight hours no matter how hot and humid it is outside unless it's storming, which will instantly cool a hot coop. My coops have a ton of ventilation but my chickens Wana run around and eat grass, and bugs

Back
Top Bottom