Wood shavings vs. chopped straw bedding

TheChickInn

Songster
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Hi! I have always used wood shavings for bedding in my coop. I am curious to see if anyone has experience with using chopped straw or another alternative to wood shavings. I would like to try some straw, as I think it would break down faster in the compost pile. Would appreciate any advice.....Thanks!

I've never used true chopped straw, but have occasionally, when I ran out of pine shavings/pellets, used baled wheat/oat straw with most of the stems being under 6". I really don't like it, it mats a lot more than shavings, and it does not really absorb moisture well, and it molds a lot faster at ground level than shavings. As something to add to a garden, if you change it change it out enough, I can see where you would like it. I do like to use straw/hay outside in the runs occasionally since the chickens really like to scratch through it.

Good to know...thanks for the replies! I think I will just keep the straw in the next boxes! :)

I really like high quality chopped straw for chickens. What I have found to be terrible and matted is hay. Never use hay for bedding. Shavings are an excellent bedding as well, the main reason I don't use them is that were I live, they are very expensive. I think your best bet might be shavings for the floor, and straw for the nests. I find that the hens seem to like nesting in it and they can't dig down to the bottom of the nest as easily. This is all, of course, your choice. You are free to completely disregard my opinions.

This is all good info. I am slightly bummed though as I will have chickens for the first time this coming Spring and was hoping to use straw for bedding. That was the plan so that I could put it in the compost pile and use on my garden :(

I've never used true chopped straw, but have occasionally, when I ran out of pine shavings/pellets, used baled wheat/oat straw with most of the stems being under 6". I really don't like it, it mats a lot more than shavings, and it does not really absorb moisture well, and it molds a lot faster at ground level than shavings. As something to add to a garden, if you change it change it out enough, I can see where you would like it. I do like to use straw/hay outside in the runs occasionally since the chickens really like to scratch through it.

How much more often would the straw need to be changed?

This is all good info. I am slightly bummed though as I will have chickens for the first time this coming Spring and was hoping to use straw for bedding. That was the plan so that I could put it in the compost pile and use on my garden
sad.png
Try straw! if you don't like it you can always use shavings.

Back
Top Bottom