Wood chips for OUTSIDE the coop

K-Finn

Chirping
Aug 8, 2017
North Hartland, Vermont
I'm looking to lay out some wood chips or mulch in the chicken's yard OUTSIDE the coop to help deal with mud during the rainy season. I understand that some wood chips are not good to use inside the coop due to oils/fumes, but what about on the ground outside? Should I be worried about them walking around on wood that might be poisonous, or in most cases are any kind of wood chips outside going to be ok.

I ask because I'm looking to get free mulch or woodchips, and people often aren't sure exactly what the chips are when they are giving it away.

Cedar is not good if the dust and fumes are inhaled. Other than that I think most anything goes. Even If there was some cedar mixed in with everything else and it's outside, it's probably ok. I get my wood chips/sawdust from friends with sawmills that make lumber and furniture, as well as from when we cut firewood, could be a variety of trees. Your birds might even appreciate the free insect snacks that end up in their bedding ;)

Though I recently wondered if the mold in the beetlekill pine was dangerous since the wood hasn't been kiln dried... I don't know.
I heard that you should only use hardwood bark chippings. Pine can cause bumblefoot from splinters and the oils can cause respiratory problems. Don't know about that for sure as it's out side. I'm looking to do the same. My run is a mud pit at the moment.

Thanks! I used all our fallen leaves for the last few months which has worked really nicely, but they are starting to break down and become muddy/poopy too.

Debating between trying to find more leaves or wood chips.

Wood chips have been terrific for my drainage, which was an issue last year when I used mostly leaf litter instead. I have a mountain of wood chips that should last me a couple of years, and yes there's cedar mixed in, but as it's been aired out I don't think it's been causing much issue.

I believe black walnut is the only wood that's an absolute no (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As far as bumblefoot I think my only case of it came before I put in chips. I do check my birds regularly for lice/mites and bumblefoot as I do worry about splinters.

Hard wood and soft wood chips are fine for the run IF they are aged and mixed with other materials IMO. I would not use fresh chips.
Ditto Dat^^^

Aged and mixed with other materials are key.
Too much of any one material can cause problems,
like a wet slimy mass of anaerobic gunk.
Best to have a mix of sizes, shapes, types of dried plant material.
Green, or wet, materials should be used sparingly until you have a good balanced base built up.

This is what I started with, power company trimmings, chipped and aged for 6 months. A buddy had dozens of loads of this dumped on his land, some was mostly hardwood, some was mostly pine The larger wood does not break down quickly,
the more fragile parts(leaves, straw, hay, dried grass) will need to be replenished as they break down, added sparingly and watched to keep balance of mix good.
full

'Hay' day, I let my 'lawn' grow long, cut and let dry, then put in run.
full

After a year of adding dried leaves and grasses.
full

Back
Top Bottom