Windows in the coop

Corey, I totally want some of that stuff. But I don't know about it's ability to support the snow...
hmm.png

cory i like your coop i also used the blue clear roofing, lets in tons of light i added a small windows by the door so they can see me coming,
SUNP0003.jpg

I think if you give it plenty of support it would be ok, mine holds up pretty well but we only get a couple of inches a year.

I've always liked the ground windows but I worry them as easy targets for predators.

What type of windows are the single panes, are they just window or are they on 4 inch frames, if just windows you could install one from inside and one from outside effectively giving you 2 panes. I put triple pane patio glass slideing doors for my windows,(got 3 at auction for $2 ). The roost come to bottom of the window, and I think the chickens look out, I never really asked them though. I also have sliding windows on each end for ventilation.
HPIM0149.jpg

the window on lomg side is the slider(I built a new frame for it and turned it on its side, the one on the end is the slider, can open for ventilation. the other side is same except it has a half door and a pop up door just for the chickens, The full size door is next to the sliding window, made in same patern as rest of the coop. I would take what materials you have and just start building, it worked for me, and I dont think the chickens care as long as they have food and water they seem happy. Oh yeah and treats they want thier treats.

Quote:
It's not going to give you the kind of thermal insulation that commercial doublepane windows do, b/c they are sealed etcetera. So, given that, it would be a LOT simpler to just get some doublesided tape and either clear plastic or bubblewrap, to put an inside layer over the windows during winter.

I tape bubblewrap over the inside of my basement windows. It ain't as good as proper thermopane windows but is a lot better than nothing. Is it better than a single clear plastic sheet? In theory. How much better? Dunno.

Pat

Quote:
It's not going to give you the kind of thermal insulation that commercial doublepane windows do, b/c they are sealed etcetera. So, given that, it would be a LOT simpler to just get some doublesided tape and either clear plastic or bubblewrap, to put an inside layer over the windows during winter.

I tape bubblewrap over the inside of my basement windows. It ain't as good as proper thermopane windows but is a lot better than nothing. Is it better than a single clear plastic sheet? In theory. How much better? Dunno.

Pat

In reality, the effect of having two single panes would give you the same effect as having a double pane window assuming that the effficiency of each pane of glass is the same, I would have to assume that the old ones were replaced for higher efficiency windows. In a duel paned window the sealed area only acts as a buffer, in the scenario I mentioned you would have a 3 1/2 inch buffer instead of the 1/8th in that you get with a duel pane, assuming you installed both sides caulked properly and they are still in good shape. It will not be as preaty as a new window, but I ASSumed that you were looking to use what you had available to save money.

Ok, if you caulk the heck out of it (all around the edge of the window frame) so there is no air exchange, it'll be about as good, sure. Probably fog up a bit, but they're chickens
tongue.png
I had not thought of doing it that way.

Bubblewrap is still cheap and easy to work with though
wink.png
(Mine is recycled packing).

Pat

Back
Top Bottom