Will this ever work? Two roosters - five hens

Okay. I know, it’s a horrible ratio. But things didn’t go how i planned it and now i’m going to ask, will this work?

I had six hens and one rooster. One went broody and was separated into the house to hatch some babies (All of the four eggs hatched) Unfortunately, one hen was taken by a hawk. The other was attacked by a hawk, survived, doing well, but was separated due to the large wound under her wing and her behavior being off. Pretty sure they have worms and it’s getting better, but long story short, the broody hen died due to ovarian cancer and two hens along with the chicks are indoors due to the two hens acting off from what i presume is worms.

I’m left with two hens whom my bantam rooster can’t mate and one of the hens he doesn’t even try to ever mate, (nobody messes with her, she’s the top hen.) so only my poor girl Isbe is getting totally beat up and obviously overmated.

I had a plan to seperate Isbe and Rizo (they are a very good pair, Isbe adores her and only her, mostly one sided but i think they would do fine together)

And separate Peep, Jolene, Gabby and the four chicks. The problem here is the fact that one of the chicks is a cockerel and the other pullets seem to just adore him. Is there ever a chance of two roosters and five hens working? They are all the same breed.
Should i pursue this plan and divide the coop?
I've kept two cock birds in with hens with no.problems and I've heard of breeders who keep 2 cocks in.with 5 hens to make sure eggs are fertilised. There can be problems to begin with but they settle down once they have the crowing order sorted.

Oh, please sell one of the roos, then the ratio wouldn't be that bad for the poor girls..
I'd say 1 to 5 is a lot better than 2 to 5! :fl

I don’t have experience with bantams but my full size flock at one time was 6 hens and 2 Roos. One roo ruled and kept the other one in check. They were raised together. They would occasionally fight but the br would back down usually. The hens were definitely overbred even though the br rarely had the chance! but one day a dog killed the dominant roo and boy did that change the dynamics of the flock. The br immediately stepped into his role as the only rooster and the hens positions changed. But there was an immediate relaxation in the whole flock. The new leader was much less overbearing than the old one and all the hens were able to relax more. The br is such a good rooster. He never is aggressive with people like the other one was and the whole flock is more layed back. I would recommend just 1 rooster. At least with full size chickens. Just my opinion. 🤷🏼‍♀️

If you are after fertile eggs you are far better off having 2:5 ratio.

No, with excess roosters fertility actually goes down, because they knock each other off the hens or are just too jumpy about what the other roo is doing to complete the job.
Genetic infertility is quite rare. The most common cause of eggs not being fertilized is failures in the breeding process.

Okay. I know, it’s a horrible ratio. But things didn’t go how i planned it and now i’m going to ask, will this work?

I had six hens and one rooster. One went broody and was separated into the house to hatch some babies (All of the four eggs hatched) Unfortunately, one hen was taken by a hawk. The other was attacked by a hawk, survived, doing well, but was separated due to the large wound under her wing and her behavior being off. Pretty sure they have worms and it’s getting better, but long story short, the broody hen died due to ovarian cancer and two hens along with the chicks are indoors due to the two hens acting off from what i presume is worms.

I’m left with two hens whom my bantam rooster can’t mate and one of the hens he doesn’t even try to ever mate, (nobody messes with her, she’s the top hen.) so only my poor girl Isbe is getting totally beat up and obviously overmated.

I had a plan to seperate Isbe and Rizo (they are a very good pair, Isbe adores her and only her, mostly one sided but i think they would do fine together)

And separate Peep, Jolene, Gabby and the four chicks. The problem here is the fact that one of the chicks is a cockerel and the other pullets seem to just adore him. Is there ever a chance of two roosters and five hens working? They are all the same breed.
Should i pursue this plan and divide the coop?
In similar situation. Bought 7 more pullets today to hopefully help with it. All depends on temperament if we have to temporarily separate a roo. They both grew up together to it’s possible, but only time will tell. Haven’t seen any fighting yet, but have seen plenty of mounting.

Back
Top Bottom