Will these nesting box ledges be mistaken for a roost?

richchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012

After putting up these ledges for easier access into the nesting boxes, I am having second thoughts to whether they will try to use these as a roost?? The corner of the platform to the right of nesting boxes in the picture is the poop shelf and above, of course, the intended roosts?

If I take these poles down should I replace them with maybe a flat board ledge between the rows with a walk-up plank to it?

(I posted this question in the "coop pics")

Yes, the chickens will probably try to use them for a roost. I have very similar nest boxes with ledges like that. I simply went into the coop each evening when the chickens first moved in and physically moved the ones who were on the nest box ledges and put them on the roosting poles. After a couple nights, they learned where they were supposed to roost, and it hasn't happened since. Chickens are creatures of habit - and once they start roosting in one place, that's where they will want to continue roosting.

agreed-- mine would roost there for sure. :) There is no need for a ramp though, if you do change your set up. If you did want to change it, I'd just move them in closer to the nests. Of course, I still get a bird or two that wants to roost IN the boxes-- even though my roosts are higher up. If you brought in the resting bar a few inches closer to the nests-- that might help deter them. Your boxes are gorgeous, BTW. :)

Back
Top Bottom