Will other chickens stop laying if one goes broody?

chickenmama01

Hatching
Apr 13, 2015
Will hens stop laying if one goes broody. I have 5 hens had a rooster but had to get rid of him (neighbors complained) my hen went broody 6 days ago and since she started they all stopped laying. Only took my rooster to another farm yesterday. Thanks

Well they all shouldent stop laying because of a hen going broody but it probably because of you getting rid of your rooster they are probably trying to figure out which is going to be the most dominant and because of getting rid of your rooster then they are all trying to fix there pecking order and the stress being with out him hope this helps

Usually one hen going broody will not cause others to stop laying. They will happily lay eggs for the broody to sit on, actually.

Any change in the flock, good or bad, can affect laying. It should pick up again soon.

Will hens stop laying if one goes broody. I have 5 hens had a rooster but had to get rid of him (neighbors complained) my hen went broody 6 days ago and since she started they all stopped laying. Only took my rooster to another farm yesterday. Thanks
I was wondering the same thing. One hen is sitting on 8 eggs. I should have alot more. The other 2 silkys are not laying like they should. There are no buried eggs or any in the coop run. So maybe it is a thing. 🤷‍♀️

That's a great question! I've been having the same concern in my goose flock. Two nests so far, and I intent to let the flock incubate (brood) & raise the gozzies. I'm hoping for multiple brooding mommas. 5 ganders, 12 'Mother Gooses'...

Back
Top Bottom