will my hen be able to protect her chicks?

cluck-cluck

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2012
San Fernando Valley, California (LA)
Hi,

My Trader Joe's Leghorn pullet went broody and I couldn't break her so I gave her some eggs. They're pipping right now, so now I must make the final decision as to whether or not she should raise them. I would prefer it if she would because I want these chicks to live with this group of birds. The broody is the top of the pecking order with 3 other leghorns beneath her, and a crevecoeur is at the bottom. They have a nice coop, 32 square feet, room for 8 birds, plus a roomy run. The chicks should be safe in the coop, though it's 3 feet off the ground, until they can hop over a 6" barrier. When they can do that, they can access the ramp down into the run, so that is another concern.

Should I let mama try to raise them? Or should I put them in the brooder? I value everyone's opinion, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
O let momma raise them!

A mother hen will be fierce in defending her chicks and it will be the best way to integrate the chicks into the flock.
You may want to provide mom with a box to retreat to with her chicks. and provide her with her own food and water.

Thank you for your thoughts! Do you think I should keep the coop door closed? It has a barrier of about 6", but beyond that is a steep ramp going down 3' into the run. If the chicks get out, they probably won't be able to get back in. What do you think?

I say let her raise them. Watching a momma hen mother her babies is so educational!

The only time I've had a problem with chicks in with the rest of the flock was when alpha and omega hens both went broody with the same hatch date. Alpha hen tried to kill omega hen's babies and omega hen was just too cowed by her to really protect her babies. She was very distressed, but just too used to being submissive I guess. I just separated them and everyone was fine.

Then it's a good thing Henny Penny is the alpha and only broody :)

I guess I'll have to just keep an eye on them to be sure they don't get locked out once they're more mobile. Hope I'm around enough to catch any mishaps!

Thank you both for your input!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about them. Mama hen will protect them and make sure they stay out of trouble. In all honesty she will probably spend the first few days keeping them hidden. By the time she brings them out regularly they will be big enough to manage a 6" barrier and an 3' ramp. She will teach them all they need to know.

I'm worried the ramp is too steep! But I'll help if I need to :) It's good to see such a consensus!

I did vent check this chick this morning, as it hatched in the night and I think it's a girl
fl.gif
It's really hard to tell, though as it's all so small!

Funny thing is that one of the other girls still managed to get into the nesting box and lay an egg in there today. She didn't hurt the baby though, so I guess if Henny Penny thinks it's ok, it's ok??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom