Will chickens walk through hanging vinyl strips?

Mrs. Mucket

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We are trying to figure out a gateway that would deter the chickens from leaving their paddock but would allow their guardian dogs to pass through. We're thinking of heavy vinyl strips (like strip doors in barns and commercial buildings). Has anyone here used these with chickens?

I don't know if they would walk through but I would assume after a while they would. Have you thought about a dog door with a sensor that attaches to the dogs collars? The dog door wont open unless the sensor(dog collar) is close enough to the dog door.

Yes they will but it might take a while. I have split clear vinyl rug runners as a windbreak over the pop door. I had to leave part of the strip up so they would get used to it, but now they don't care and go right thru.

Sounds like it would have to be a heavy vinyl that the chickens couldn't push through. The dogs are over 100# so they could be taught to push something heavy. Or a sensor door is a good idea too.

The chickens may be able to figure out how to use the door.

Last winter I wanted to find a way to keep out the wind and cold but let the chickens move from the coop to the run without me having to open and shut the door all the time. ( Our run is fairly predator proof). I cut some heavy vinyl into strips. I stapled them above the pop door on the inside of the coop so that just two inches hung down into the opening. Everyday I moved the strips down another inch or two. At first the chickens ducked to get under the strips but then just started to push through them. Eventually the entire door opening was covered and they used it without problems.

If your chickens really want to get through the door and the vinyl is not too heavy for them they will likely find a way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom