Why is my pullet losing feathers 😳

corthendo

Chirping
May 22, 2023
My pullets are about 2 and a half months old and I noticed one of them had lost some feathers out of her rear. She is the beta if not the alpha of the group. I went to do something in the run and there was a big pile of feathers ( a lot are definitely hers some are just black so it could be from another chicken) what would cause this so young?

Attachments

• B93066AD-101A-4F4E-8209-81D28DD592C0.jpeg
    B93066AD-101A-4F4E-8209-81D28DD592C0.jpeg
    859.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 9AB458A2-0394-4A39-86D2-66C2D91E4DBE.jpeg
    9AB458A2-0394-4A39-86D2-66C2D91E4DBE.jpeg
    859.1 KB · Views: 10
Chickens molt at different rates. Some do a slow molt that takes months and never have bald spots, others walk around leaving a trail of feathers until they are almost naked. And anything in between.

Look at the tips of the feathers. If there's blood, they are being pulled out. If not it's probably molting. She's still growing and larger feathers are coming in.

Chickens molt at different rates. Some do a slow molt that takes months and never have bald spots, others walk around leaving a trail of feathers until they are almost naked. And anything in between.

Look at the tips of the feathers. If there's blood, they are being pulled out. If not it's probably molting. She's still growing and larger feathers are coming in.
I wasn’t sure if molting started this early, the tips look fine and she’s acting fine.

My pullets are about 2 and a half months old and I noticed one of them had lost some feathers out of her rear. She is the beta if not the alpha of the group. I went to do something in the run and there was a big pile of feathers ( a lot are definitely hers some are just black so it could be from another chicken) what would cause this so young?
Thank you for posting this question. I have been looking for answers on here for the same question and was just about to post the question. My pullets are also 2 1/2 months and they are all losing some feathers but 3 of my Barnevelders are losing a lot of feathers just above the tail. Appetites and behaviors are all normal so I will chaulk it up to molting as well. So many things to worry about as a new chicken mama!!

Thank you for posting this question. I have been looking for answers on here for the same question and was just about to post the question. My pullets are also 2 1/2 months and they are all losing some feathers but 3 of my Barnevelders are losing a lot of feathers just above the tail. Appetites and behaviors are all normal so I will chaulk it up to molting as well. So many things to worry about as a new chicken mama!!
The feathers she is losing are right above her tail as well. She has some downy fluff going on back there.

Back
Top Bottom