Why don't chickens get ticks? This is bugging me ....

baregretchen

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
So. Maryland
My woods are loaded with ticks here in So. Md. If I don't use Frontline on my dogs and cats, they will wind up infested! I've always wondered why my chickens don't get ticks (or wild birds either). Anyone know?

They can, i've known someone who had a hen they almost lost due to a tick being on the comb.. Or so they say, but the main reason they don't get them is because they eat them.

I agree that they don't get them because they eat them.

Also, if you powder or give your bird Ivomectin this is very distasteful for mites, fleas and ticks.

yes yes yes! they eat them!!!

i was all bummed b/c i couldnt get guineas this year - we were COVERED in ticks all last year (the first summer on our new property).

this year i've pulled exactly 2 off my dogs. for a while i thought all the ticks were killed in a late frost - but my neighbors have been plagued by them!

yay chickens!

I would think that the reason why you hardly ever find a tick on a chicken is because they are constantly preening and they eat them. It would stand to reason that a chicken would get ticks on the comb or wattles though because they can't pick/preen that area.

Back
Top Bottom