RIP Sarah
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! There is something I've been noticing a lot with my Silver Duckwing Old English Game banatm hens that I have been wondering about. That is, why do they crow. The most crowing I've noticed them doing is when they had chicks or was broody. Now, my bantam pullet, Lolly, crows along side her brothers. When she crows the most is when she is away from her mother. At least four out of five of my bantam hens crow (but not all the time like my three bantam roosters do). Would any of you know why they crow?

Here is a video of her crowing. She only crows once in this video, and you can hear her brothers crowing in the background.

Really neat to catch that on video :)

I have no idea why. I have heard before that in the absence of males, sometimes a hen will start acting a bit rooster-like, mounting and crowing.
I once saw one of my hens mounting another hen before I had a rooster... Thought it was the oldest thing.

Really neat to catch that on video :)

I have no idea why. I have heard before that in the absence of males, sometimes a hen will start acting a bit rooster-like, mounting and crowing.
I once saw one of my hens mounting another hen before I had a rooster... Thought it was the oldest thing.
I have heard of that too. But with three roosters around, I don't think any of them would do any mounting, though.

That's interesting! How old is she? And how old was she when she started crowing?
Lolly hatched out July 21, 2019. I'm not certain when she started crowing, but it was around the same time when her brothers started crowing. When she first crowed is when she was away from her mother and was chirping for her, which, her chirping turned into crowing. So, she started crowing before she got out of the chirping age.

Back
Top Bottom