Why can't you feed uncooked rice to your flock?

catoosajojo

Hatching
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Republic of Panama
We live in the Republic of Panama and hay/straw is not available here for bedding. We use rice grass and every time the bedding is changed our chickens can't hardly wait to get at it. They love the uncooked bits of rice that is still in the grass. But I'm reading that you should not feed rice unless it's cooked. Mine won't eat it cooked. We have mostly what here they call Patio chickens, which is really just a cross breeding of different Bantums I believe.

the rice will absorb the moisture in them swell and killl them, but the use u describe they should be fine

Rice expands with moisture, so they can eat untill they are full, then the rice expands, and well
sickbyc.gif

Well they've been eating it uncooked for 18 months without any problems at all. They have a large run and scratch feed that is a combination of cracked corn, and about 4 other seeds including sorgum. I would think any type of grain would swell so that is not computing for me. If rice is left in a pan uncooked it does not swell, so I'm not quite buying this answer, no offense. They also get lots of green stuff, fruits, even coconut and papaya. Scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc, etc. lol

The rice causing exploding birds was a 1950's April Fools Day joke published in some newspaper, on the East Coast i believe. Took on a life of its own. Kinda like the "pasta" trees that grow in Italy.

Imp

& Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
just make sure with the whole grains including rice they have access to gravel either granite grit or sea gravel beach gravel

as this is neccessary for the chickens gizzard to grind the whole grain

your birds are probably very pretty as rice is very good for feather quality

and NO they will not blow up

rice is at a preium price right now so maybe that is why they quit throwing it at wqeddings

and cities did not like th flock of pigeons (dirty manure) that came with throwing rice
thus some cities banned the throwing of rice

you are blessed with having the rice bedding plants

any questions email me

Back
Top Bottom