Whole Oats as chicken feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oats are high fiber so hens can't eat as much high nutrient content feed and it speeds their bowel transit time, if you know what I mean, and you pay for the useless fiber by the pound.
And some animals don't like the oats anyway.

I would not want a feed that is mainly whole oats. Steel cut oats or maybe oat groats.
I do add some oats occasionally to their fermented feed because oats have anti-nutrients in it that need enzymes to break down.

I was fermenting most of my feed but my hens slowed laying. I think they overate the yummy fermented whole grains.
Too much grain and they can get fat. Except I have never seen a fat Leghorn or Calif White, poor things look like they are starving!

Maybe because it was soft they ate less grit and got less nutrient??

Anyway, I went back to less fermented feed, and some organic non-GMO pellets and some dry mash or grains.
-----------------------
http://www.extension.org/pages/67363/feeding-oats-to-poultry#.U6hkSbH_pIo

In the past, oats were used sparingly in poultry diets primarily because, aside from having a high fiber content, oats contain beta-glucans. Beta-glucans are antinutritional factors that reduce nutrient availability.
The availability of feed enzymes has led to renewed interest in "alternative" grains, including oats. Enzyme supplementation of oats has been shown to compensate for
the antinutritional factors and improve growth performance in broilers.

Whole oats have a high fiber content. Poultry are not able to digest fiber very well, so the inclusion of oat grain in poultry diets reduces the availability of dietary energy and other nutrients. Because of this combination of high fiber and low energy, oats are better suited for use in pullet developers and breeder diets.

Last edited:
I routinely used oats in the intact grain form as part of the feed mixture. The fiber content is considered desirable when green vegetative plant intake is low. I monitor fecal appearance of free-range birds in top health and found feces contains a great deal of fiber and cecal poo's are obvious. Oats a long with high fiber items such as BOSS enables similar characteristics in feces for confined birds. When balance of diet formulation is high in nutrient quality and oats represent less than 25% of overall intake everything should be fine. During summer oats represent < 10% of ration while during coldest part of winter it can approach 25% and is soaked first to not only improve nutrient availability but also provide a source of water than is not available with subfreezing temperatures.

Last edited:
Soy is NOT healthy for chickens. Same goes with corn. It's just the same as the cardboard filler in cheaper dog dry food.
Really?
Seems to me that at 48% crude protein soybean meal would be of some use. Not to mention that it has only 3% fiber which is generally associated with "filler". It is also one of the highest percentage sources of Lysine available. Lysine is real important to chickens.
Then you have corn. What other source of carbohydrates is better and chickens do need carbs to grow, lay and maintain don't they?
You should have more respect for your beginner status. You have a lot to look forward to learning about poultry.

Soy is 90+% gmo. Soy is not good for chickens and you shouldnt be so rude.
You mean that soy is not good because it is mostly a GMO?
Cite the science please.
It was not my intention to be rude but factual. But my remarks could possibly be considered condescending.

There is no science that says its safe bc monsanto, et al arent forced to test it. But common sense says that splicing the dna of a plant and adding in pesticide dna cannot possibly be healthy. It cannot be wiped or rinsed off. There are, however, studies that show pesticides in the fetuses of pregnant woman. Yeah, that sounds healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom