Who laid this egg??

NicJames

Chirping
May 22, 2017
Anchorage, Alaska
IMG_5687.JPG
One of my girls laid her fist egg today! I'm not 100% sure who it was. It's a brown egg so the possible suspects are barred rock, Rhode Island red, or silver laced Wyandotte. They're all right around 4.5 months. All 3 have been acting "eggy" lately but the barred rock has been the most so for the longest. She follows me around squawking to be petted and does the submissive wings out pose anytime I go near her. The other 2 just recently started doing the wing thing but not nearly as much. Can anyone tell from the egg? Here it is next to my leghorn and isbar eggs from today. I was surprised to see it so spotted. It's so pretty :)

You can look at their vents. They look very different if they've laid or not. You can also feel their pelvic bones, widest apart is probably your layer. With your BR squatting I'd guess her.

You could also look up egg pictures to see the different colors. One of my hens is not laying but has a wide vent. She's almost ready to lay, though.

You can look at their vents. They look very different if they've laid or not. You can also feel their pelvic bones, widest apart is probably your layer. With your BR squatting I'd guess her.
Thanks! So I compared vents and definitely the br looks like something just came out of it She's such a good girl. Also, the vent on the RIR looks bigger so maybe she's next? Do they start widening as they get close to laying?

If you feel their pelvic bones on either side of the vent if they are 1 finger width apart they are not close to laying, 2 fingers and you've got a few weeks, 3 fingers and they are laying or will really soon.

You could also look up egg pictures to see the different colors. One of my hens is not laying but has a wide vent. She's almost ready to lay, though.
Oh ok that's good to know! The BR vent was obviously larger than the other. So I'm almost positive it was her. My RIR looked bigger than my non layers so maybe she's next.

Back
Top Bottom