Which NJ Towns permit backyard chickens?

Valerie Reis

Hatching
Feb 24, 2020
I am a relatively new realtor in central and north NJ. I am getting this question more frequently.
Can anyone share info on towns that do permit, and DON'T permit chickens?
If you know any additional specifics such as # of hens allowed, min acreage etc I would be grateful for the information. I have made several call to various town officials who should know these answers, but I am finding that the codes are unclear or they just don't know.
thanks in advance for the help!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I moved your thread to our Laws and Ordanances section here for better response. Good luck, I hope you can keep poultry!! :)

It’s good you are seeking out information for your clients!

I am in Ohio, so I don’t really know NJ. However, from reading on BYC, rules can vary by city,township, county.

In general, HOAs are unfriendly to livestock, however, some are open to things like this, but always will be stated in the bylaws. One BYC posting indicated that an HOA they had lived in allowed chickens up to a certain number and as related to 4-H, so kids were able raise limited livestock for the purpose of education. Most BYC posters indicate most HOAs specifically ban livestock.

often rules can be found online for a city or similar, look into ordinances. It may only be a line or two pertaining to livestock and may or may not specify poultry. It may state livestock not allowed, except for x or y.

if rural, there may be no restrictions, or they may have to have a certain size lot.

A possible option for a more suburban setting is Coturnix Quail. These are little Japanese quailthat can live in small enclosures or cages in a garage or in the home. They lay many eggs, all the time. They are easy to process to eat. They are easy to get. They do need a high protein feed (like “gamebird feed” which is around 28% protein) or a turkey starter with supplemental protein added (tuna, ground up dry cat food, fish food flakes), but a feed store may carry it, or if more convenient, it is easy to buy feed online through Chewy or similar site. Quail eggs make perfect pickled eggs, can be added on top of a hot pizza and broiled a few min to cook, hard boiled make a fun add to salads.

Hope this helps.

thank you! the question has come up twice in the last week as this is becoming a more frequent trend. Frankly I have called the particular township and the director for town codes & ordinances didn't even know. very frustrating and time consuming. I did try their municipal site first. totally no help. Not so much concerned with HOA properties. Rules in NJ rarely allow for so much as a Christmas decoration. LOL

Back
Top Bottom