woodworm

Crowing
9 Years
May 31, 2015
North Wales, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone

Currently planning our first coop and run and hit a query right away!

I plan on burying an apron around my run. From what I have read it's preferable to have PVC coated mesh for this as it resists rusting more, however in the UK I can only find 1" x 1" 16g PVC mesh - I can buy thinner mesh (19g) at ½" x ½" - not much difference in price.

Am I better off buying stronger mesh with larger holes or weaker mesh with smaller holes?

Predators where I live are fox and badgers, though obviously will have mice and presumably rats (not that I've seen one around here).

I have ½" x ½" 16g mesh for the run, but not PVC coated.

Thanks for your advice

For a perimeter, you don't need the 1/2" mesh. That is only necessary for weasels and mink which aren't going to dig down and be able to get into.
I've used 1X2" for an apron. It is really only for foxes and dogs.
I think galvanized would last long enough that you don't need to go for the PVC coating.
The PVC is likely to be breached by moisture which will make the galvanization your best line of defense.

Am I better off buying stronger mesh with larger holes or weaker mesh with smaller holes?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Get the smaller holes with the lighter gauge wire. It will do a better job at keeping out things like rats and weasels. And when the larger animals try to dig their claws will catch more wires... they cannot easily CHEW on the smaller holes where as bigger ones may allow for gnawing. Also breaking one smaller wire give you a one inch by half inch hole. Breaking a bigger wire give a bigger hole instantly. This is my assessment and thoughts anyways according to my experience.

PVC coating is nice... but haven't afforded it or worked with it long term to know the ins and outs of its' longevity and function.

Sounds like you're doing a great job researching before jumping in! :highfive:

ETA: previous poster does make sense as well, I am always learning! :cool:

If rats are a possible concern I would do 1/2" mesh, as I've seen rat tunnels under my apron but since they can't squeeze through the mesh, they give up instead of going all the way through.

Against foxes, dogs, etc. either mesh size should work. Not familiar enough with badgers to know what they can/can't do.

Galvanized should be fine, my ground is always damp and the apron still looks good going on a little over 3 years now.

Hi everyone - thank you for all the replies and advice. It sounds like galvanised mesh will be enough rather than PVC coated.

I suspect this project will take me quite a while to complete so expcet lots of questions! :D

If rats are a possible concern I would do 1/2" mesh, as I've seen rat tunnels under my apron but since they can't squeeze through the mesh, they give up instead of going all the way through.
Am confused...if they are under the apron, what other mesh is stopping them?

Am confused...if they are under the apron, what other mesh is stopping them?

They were tunneling under the apron and seemed to be attempting to push up to get out, but the mesh kept them underground. After about a foot or so they'd give up. And yes we actually saw the rats in the tunnels (which actually made those ones easy to catch).

They were tunneling under the apron and seemed to be attempting to push up to get out, but the mesh kept them underground. After about a foot or so they'd give up. And yes we actually saw the rats in the tunnels (which actually made those ones easy to catch).
That's interesting!
Good thing they gave up before getting past the apron.
Did you put traps at the tunnel entrances?

That's interesting!
Good thing they gave up before getting past the apron.
Did you put traps at the tunnel entrances?

At one point we had traps *everywhere* - plastic snap traps, the old fashion wood snap traps, an electric trap. Each night after the chickens were in we had to set traps, and every morning we had to disable them all before the chickens came out. Major hassle!

The issue was with our old set up: a prefab coop sitting on the dirt, a PVC feeder that had no cap, a portion of the run which I was using for gardening that wasn't aproned - so rats were getting under the coop and turning it into a rat buffet. We caught two that tried coming in from the aproned sides by tunneling and hubby took an axe handle to them while they were holed up under the apron. We eventually killed off enough rats, plus upgraded the coop (so no more food out at night), plus properly aproned the entire thing, and those three combined fixed the problem.

Back
Top Bottom