Where can I purchase​ Emu toys and walking harness

At least you guys have asked politely- thanks! So here is the idea.. I live in a RURAL area where our AG backgrounds are the foundation of our local society. As we are growing, newcomers are landing here and wanting to learn about agriculture. As a business owner, it would be awesome if I could take an emu to the local schools and educate young people about them. There was an emu who attended the National Western Stock show in Denver and people got all excited to meet him and learn about emus. My turkeys would go to a school if I let them so the natural evolution of the idea was to try an emu.
Remember, just because someone has not seen something done, or even if someone has had a bad experience trying something, it does not rule it out for all. The key is to be smart and cautious about keeping everyone safe and happy. If any of my animals said they did not want to do something, I would never ask them again.
I personally had emu wile I was growing up and my dad learned how to make harneses from thick nylon rope for when I wad walking them around (mind you that is NOT how they got their physical activity they had an acre large enclosure) they did fine. And I plan on harness training my next aswell.

If your emu ever accidentally gets out of its enclosure, if you’re trying to move it from one pasture to another, if you want it to stand still for medical attention, if you need to load it onto a trailer for whatever reason…you’ll be very happy that your emu is used to a harness and lead. Even non-domesticated animals at zoos are often exposed to basic handling for care purposes.

Daryl is 8 weeks old and I've never given him toys....as a matter of fact my human children tried to roll a ball with him and he hissed and puffed his neck feathers at it. The best source of entertainment for an emu chick is wide open space. daryl has been outside every day from day 4 of life outside the egg. I have only brought him in when it's below 30 degrees but even at that I took him outside 5/6 times per day for about an hour. Even in the snow and rain. He thrives outside. Emus don't need to play with toys they need to run and jump outside. They need to rip leaves from trees and bushes and peck at seeds and grass on the ground. I'm saying this with all due respect but emus are not a domesticated animal
Neither are skunks, raccoons, nor macaws domesticated as a species; but like many other non-domesticated species, individuals will typically turn out the way they were raised. Of course an emu outside from day 4 isn't remotely domesticated, and like a wild bird or wild raccoon wouldn't react well inside or being walked or greeting strangers. But my emu was raised inside with me in a sitting room (with dozens of beach towels covering every surface, and 10 loads of laundry per day) with dogs and cats and other people, and loves people and other animals and plays with a xylophone and other toys. He's highly attuned to sounds, but interested in them, not startled by them. His first few months, when a dog would bark or other loud sound, he would instantly look at my eyes to see how I reacted. I wouldn't react, and he lost the "startle" response. He jumps and runs outside from excitement and fun, not fear.
My brother raised 2 baby orphaned raccoons, and they don't hiss or act the slightest bit "wild"--they are more happily "domesticated" than a typical cat; and a lot more clever and personable.
I have hundreds of beef cattle on open pastures, and they would never stand still for me or any human to walk up to them. I also have 4 pet cattle, and they come running and mob me for ear scratches and nuzzles the moment they see me. It's all in how they're raised.

Last edited:
Neither are skunks, raccoons, nor macaws domesticated as a species; but like many other non-domesticated species, individuals will typically turn out the way they were raised. Of course an emu outside from day 4 isn't remotely domesticated, and like a wild bird or wild raccoon wouldn't react well inside or being walked or greeting strangers. But my emu was raised inside with me in a sitting room (with dozens of beach towels covering every surface, and 10 loads of laundry per day) with dogs and cats and other people, and loves people and other animals and plays with a xylophone and other toys. He's highly attuned to sounds, but interested in them, not startled by them. His first few months, when a dog would bark or other loud sound, he would instantly look at my eyes to see how I reacted. I wouldn't react, and he lost the "startle" response. He jumps and runs outside from excitement and fun, not fear.
My brother raised 2 baby orphaned raccoons, and they don't hiss or act the slightest bit "wild"--they are more happily "domesticated" than a typical cat; and a lot more clever and personable.
I have hundreds of beef cattle on open pastures, and they would never stand still for me or any human to walk up to them. I also have 4 pet cattle, and they come running and mob me for ear scratches and nuzzles the moment they see me. It's all in how they're raised.
Putting an emu chick outside without a father at 4 days is not natural either--natural is a father role for 12 to 18 months before they are independent.

Back
Top Bottom