When Using Sand In Your Coop...

KSCluckah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Hey everyone,

As we've been experimenting and learning what works, figured I'd share.
Here in Derby (near Wichita) its been ungodly hot (we are now the 4th hottest city in the US), and we set up a mister
system for our flock of 12 roos and 20 hens as they wait for their much anticipated coop to be done (just too dang hot to work
on it for very long so its taking forever). Anyway, the misters of course can cause some muddiness and puddling, highly undesireable,
especially if you have feather footed fancies. We decided to use sand in their run area and have been contemplating using
in their coop as well. Here's what we've found: Playsand is far too fine to be of any use for puddle control and as a rakeable medium
so far as poop is concerned. We tried paver sand, close but no cigar, still too fine. While at Ace Hardware looking for something
unrelated I looked at "tubesand", which we use in the winter in the bed of our pickup to add weight for better traction.

Tubesand is PERFECT! Provides a great source of grit for the chooks, and is gravelly enough to hold up to being raked during
poop patrol and keeps puddling to a minimum. 60 lb bags are about five bucks and our 24x24' pen has taken about fifteen
bags to layer to a nice level. We're stoked to find something that works well...hope some of you can benefit from our discovery!
Peace.
The Cluckah

Humm I bought bags of sand...I have no idea what it was called now, but the name of what you used is called tubesand? If that's right I will ask for some the next time at the hardware store.
yippiechickie.gif
thanks

We usually use paver sand but thanks for the tip about the tube sand! I have noticed our Ace Hardware sells their tubesand at a much reduced price after the winter. I now plan to stock up next spring.
smile.png

63272_coop_in_progress_17.jpg

Tubesand is just a sales name for a sand bag. A "Tube of Sand". The sand in the tube is the same as any general purpose sand. Sakrete sells it as Multi purpose sand. Nice and course. That is the sand I use. Works great. $2.50 for a 60 lb bag at Home depot.

I purchased "construction sand" from Lowes. It has some fine sand but lots of small pebbles "aggregate" I think it's called.

Rakes easily and is a good source of grit.

Looks like playground sand, it doesn't have tendency to get damp? I use limestone sand that's composed of really tiny pebbles. I get it by the bucket-load for free from the local creek. Works great because it drains, doesn't stay wet for long if you hose it down, and it's easy to rake.

I wanted to use sand but worried it would get to hot out here, AZ. We have to make our own shade. I think a new tree will be planted this fall. I liked the idea of cleaning it like a big cat litter box. LOL

Good advice as Ace is our only main resource in my mountain town. They told us construction sand is also popular with the chicken crowd. I think Lowes has the lowest price on construction sand these days, at least out here. This gets me so excited to get my WIR finished to so I can test this out.

Back
Top Bottom