When to stop turning emu eggs?

I read the article and chose to go with the lower temperature but maybe I missed it but as the hatching is now pushed to 55-60 days shouldn't lockdown be changed from 49 days to?. As of today I am on day 44 and 10 Emu eggs in the incubator, I have a Sven incubator which has the roller turners, you don't need to do a "wiggle" test as you can see them wiggling and jiggling back and forth on the rollers. Yes so far many have live chicks.

p.s. I am in Ontario Canada.

Last edited:
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, birdman: there are so many projects!!

If we had funds and an observer, and one of the tame-wild females had her consort sitting nearby, we could both film the whole incubation, and (somehow??) insert an 'audio egg' under the male, whereby we could get recordings.

And . . . you guys may be unaware of what an amazing 'chamber' the incubating male is. The way he sits, with the full 'curtain' of feathers touching the ground all around, makes a 'chamber' under him. So -- I' ve watched this through binoculars -- once the first chicks are hatched, they go on excursions up to a metre away from dad, or just stand at his shoulder, checking out the world, then zip back into the chamber.

Luckily, the days of B.E.'s hatch were fine, which allowed Old Guy to attend; but it's also the case that the chicks would be moving from the warm and cozy chamber, through the curtain of feathers, into a world of pouring rain and howling wind, quite ordinary for this time of year in rothschildi territory.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641934/lightbox/post/9560900/id/5293473

[I'm so proud of these photos of Boy Emu. They are, to my knowledge, unique.]

se

Last edited:
I believe you stop turning at some point. I'm going to continue turning I figure it can't hurt and if I notice a pip I'm going to stop turning. Right now I'm hearing peeping and tapping on the egg also I see movement and can here at least one shuffling around inside the egg.
I BELIVE IT WILL HURT, A CHIC HAS TO GET POSITIONED FOR HATCHING. YOU STOP TURNING THE EGGS AT LEAST DAY 45.

Back
Top Bottom