When to lay bedding down in fall?

Apr 22, 2020
Denver Colorado
Live in Denver Colorado - temperatures are cooling off at night and next week is a frost warning.

Definitely will be laying some hay inside their nesting boxes before the frost though curious if there is a temperature marker when to add more hay or pine shavings inside their coop.
How would I know if they got cold at night? They are always perky in the mid-mornings when I got to feed.

Thank you! And thank you for the link! I feel better about the setup. I was concerned about some gaps in their coop. The nesting box is lifted off the ground so there is a small crack it’s positioned around the house where it will get minimum wind. It’s been so hot the girls just kick any bedding I put in off on the ground so I haven’t added anymore at the moment. Though will be soon!

I don't change up the bedding in winter.
They need good ventilation but roosts should be away from any strong drafts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts.1048597/
First winter is scary, but they are pretty tough.
They can handle cold better than heat, those feathers hold their body heat in well.
At what point should you put in a heat lamp? Or should you with full grown hens? We are in Texas, so it doesn't get that cold. we do have bad ice storms sometimes.

At what point should you put in a heat lamp? Or should you with full grown hens? We are in Texas, so it doesn't get that cold. we do have bad ice storms sometimes.

much of my readings and from peoples suggestions advise no lamps due to fire issues. We get cold winters though nothing too crazy.My other chicken friends who live out here say deep litter method works well!

Back
Top Bottom