When to introduce outside

Popsy

Songster
13 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Raymond, CA
I have some almost six week old chicks. Most are almost completely feathered out. I live in Montana so it’s still in the upper 30’s to low 40’s at night. But the next few days will be in the low 70’s. Would it be ok to put them out in a pen for a few hours in the afternoon?

Are you saying they could have gone out at two weeks old? A month ago the daytime highs were in the 30’s and 40’s

Yes, that’s what I thought also. They are feathered except their heads, but I think it’s still too cold at night for them to be out without a heat lamp

A broody hen can raise chicks outside even when it is below freezing. The chicks go out to eat, drink and play a bit but run back under her to warm up when they need to. Many people are amazed at how much time a young chick can spend out in cold weather before it has to warm up. But they do need a place to go warm up.

I put my chicks in my brooder in the coop straight from the incubator even when it is below freezing. My brooder is 3' x 6 feet and can get frost in a far corner some mornings but I keep one end toasty. As long as they have a place to go to warm up when they need it they can be outside.

I've had chicks a bit younger than yours (5-1/2 weeks) go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit. I had about 20 chicks so they could huddle up to keep each other warm and the coop they were in had great wind protection down where they were and good ventilation up high.

There is nothing wrong with providing heat or taking them in at night as long as you don't overheat them. It will not hurt them and will probably make you feel a lot better. There is value in you feeling better.

Many people take them out for afternoons like you plan. The chicks usually love it. It gives you a chance to observe them and see how they react. That should help boost your confidence much more than what some stranger over the internet like me says. Have fun with them.

Are you saying they could have gone out at two weeks old? A month ago the daytime highs were in the 30’s and 40’s
Yes, I start doing brief trips outside at around 2 weeks and have them outside full time at 5. Chicks don't require as much heat as you'd think and they'll tell you if they're too cold. Just go by what they tell you they're up for and you'll be fine

Yes, but only as long as there's an appropriate heat source and a place for them to shelter from sun, rain, and wind. So you are correct in that they couldn't be out without any protection or heat, but they could be outside as long as they have those things.

Back
Top Bottom