When should we expect eggs?

ClundRnc

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Our flock is starting their 14th week of age. When should we start looking for our first eggs? We have 2 Pearl white leg horns, 2 Plymouth Barred rock and 1 Buff barred rock.

We are now getting eggs! Everyday is a bit different in the amount. The leghorns were first, one of the Barred Rocks laid her first egg this morning! Eggs are small to tiny (compared to store bought). Do they get bigger? Or is this driven by breed?

Congratulations!
Yes, the eggs will get bigger. The egg size will be pretty inconsistent for the next few weeks-months, but everything will balance out eventually.

Chickens start laying between 5&6mths of age so you got 6-10 more wks
Now getting about 2-3 eggs per day from the 5 chickens. What is your opinion, will the eggs get bigger? Or is there a feed issue? I currently am trying to finish up a bag of grower feed.

Now getting about 2-3 eggs per day from the 5 chickens. What is your opinion, will the eggs get bigger? Or is there a feed issue? I currently am trying to finish up a bag of grower feed.
Pullet eggs can get bigger with in days, or weeks, or months.
Not a likely a feed issue.
But you should be giving them free access to some Oyster Shells.
What is the protein percentage of the grower feed?
I have always fed a 20% flock raiser with OS in a separate feeder for the active layers.

Back
Top Bottom