When do Khaki Campbell drakes develop green heads?

Blackberry18

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Minnesota
I'm currently raising Khaki Campbell ducks - they are 8 1/2 weeks old - and I'm wondering when the drakes with developing green heads. I read that they are fully feathered at 8 weeks, go through a molt at 4 months, which is when the drakes get drake feathers. Is this when they also develop green heads? I'm showing them in late July, so I want them to be fully matured.

Also, I've pinpointed the sexes by voice sexing, as accurate as I may be, but I'm wondering if the males have the iridescent wing patches at this age, because the ones I presume to be males have them. Is that true?

I'm currently raising Khaki Campbell ducks - they are 8 1/2 weeks old - and I'm wondering when the drakes with developing green heads. I read that they are fully feathered at 8 weeks, go through a molt at 4 months, which is when the drakes get drake feathers. Is this when they also develop green heads? I'm showing them in late July, so I want them to be fully matured.

Also, I've pinpointed the sexes by voice sexing, as accurate as I may be, but I'm wondering if the males have the iridescent wing patches at this age, because the ones I presume to be males have them. Is that true?

You will be fine by late July. This is one of my males almost finished with his full colors at a little over three months old. When he was the age yours will be at fair time, he had filled out and was at his prettiest!

Yes, those with the iridescence on their wings are males. I found it easier to look at the feathers above the tail. Males have solid dark feathers, the females are penciled with light and dark. Good luck, I hope all goes well for you!

You will be fine by late July. This is one of my males almost finished with his full colors at a little over three months old. When he was the age yours will be at fair time, he had filled out and was at his prettiest!

Yes, those with the iridescence on their wings are males. I found it easier to look at the feathers above the tail. Males have solid dark feathers, the females are penciled with light and dark. Good luck, I hope all goes well for you!

Thank you so much! That was very helpful. By the way, would you happen to know what the standard for female ducks are? Is more penciling better. I'm trying to decide which ones I may want to show, so I may have to try and treat some angel wing in order to show the girls I want.
wink.png

I do not know I have never shown ducks. I did try to look it up but it doesn't mention pencilling. Storey's guide says, "Most judges prefer sleek birds with moderately long bodies, nearly straight necks of medium length, refined heads, and medium-length bells with a nearly level topline. Body carriage should be intermediate between the upright Runner and the horizontal Call (about 30 degrees). Khakis should have no white feathers visible . . . . Because khaki plumage is susceptible to fading, successful exhibitors often keep their birds in the shade when the sun's rays are the strongest." I can tell you that the sun fading is very true! My girls bleach out like blonds who spend too much time at the beach. This is two of them two months ago (a little over 5 months old).

Same two last week! (The drake is my Khaki/Appleyard mix).

I add uncooked oatmeal to my feed to reduce the amount of protein and prevent angel wing. How bad is your angel wing?

I do not know I have never shown ducks. I did try to look it up but it doesn't mention pencilling. Storey's guide says, "Most judges prefer sleek birds with moderately long bodies, nearly straight necks of medium length, refined heads, and medium-length bells with a nearly level topline. Body carriage should be intermediate between the upright Runner and the horizontal Call (about 30 degrees). Khakis should have no white feathers visible . . . . Because khaki plumage is susceptible to fading, successful exhibitors often keep their birds in the shade when the sun's rays are the strongest." I can tell you that the sun fading is very true! My girls bleach out like blonds who spend too much time at the beach. This is two of them two months ago (a little over 5 months old).

Same two last week! (The drake is my Khaki/Appleyard mix).

I add uncooked oatmeal to my feed to reduce the amount of protein and prevent angel wing. How bad is your angel wing?

Yeah, two of my girls are penciled pretty well, but the other not so much; her colors blend together more. The girls are supposed to look alike, so I'm hoping to bring the one that currently has angel wing.

The angel wing isn't very severe, I posted some pictures when they were about 4 - 5 weeks because it looked like the start of angel wing, but everyone told me it looked more like the awkwardness of the feathers growing in. Now, both of the wings have the feathers held about an inch or so away from the body, so the case isn't bad. I'll post some pics later on. Do you think if I added oatmeal to the feed that would help?

Back
Top Bottom