When can my Ducklings be outside fulltime?

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
When can my Ducks be left outside, is a question we see about every week or more on the duck forums, and there is no simple answer for this. Many factors come in to play when you will be able to let them outside full time, the temperature outside, the setup, the age of the birds, breed, and if they have any time to acclimate to the temps outside. The most two most important factors though are the age of the bird and the temps outside.

I like to think of my birds like plants, you can't just set a tomato plant outside after being in a steady temperate climate inside, it needs to slowly acclimate to the weather so it doesn't get too shocked, short bits each day, and slowly increase over a week or two. I like to apply this same way of thinking with my birds. Remember when fall hits, and the temps start to get cold and you feel like its freezing, and then by the end of winter, those same temps feel like a paradise, that's basically the same thing. Just because you see wild mallard ducklings walking around outside doesn't mean you should let yours out, birds adapt to there climate.

I let my ducklings out over a week or two spans, (Weather permitting" use common sense, don't let ducklings out when the temps are near freezing. I take them out for longer bits each day, after a while, they are able to be outside comfortably in the temps. If you don't have a good sense of what temps are too cold for ducklings, watch them. Ducklings that are cold will start peeping, shivering, try to get comfortable, may start to look lethargic, they may also try to huddle together, but they will sometimes also do this naturally anyway. If you notice any of those symptoms, bring them back inside to a warm environment.

If you want a simple answer when they can be let out, there isn't, but a good guideline is once they develop their adult feathers (6-10weeks) they are more able to retain body heat and repel water more efficiently. Like previously mentioned, watch to see if they are cold and use common sense with the temps. I acclimate my birds to the temps, and if I feel it is needed I will set a heat source in their secure coop, so they can use the heat as needed. If you don't have electricity in your coop, you may consider bringing them inside if the temps are dropping pretty low, taking away a bathable water source so they can't get chilled after bathing would be good if you are a bit iffy about the temps, and always make sure their coop and run are very secure, ducklings are very prone to predators, numerous times I have lost ducklings do to my negligence of leaving them during the day in an unprotected area.

One tricky aspect of gaugiing if your ducklings are cold is that moving them to a new environment (like a trip outside) changes their behavior. They may not pile up when they are chilled in a new environment. Here is a super handy trick i have read about and used! Ducklings loose their appetite when they are cold. I put my three week old ducklings out on a sunny but cool (55f) day. They seemed fine but their feed consumption dropped in half. A few days later they went out again and they were eating well, Its like a built in temp gauge!

One tricky aspect of gaugiing if your ducklings are cold is that moving them to a new environment (like a trip outside) changes their behavior. They may not pile up when they are chilled in a new environment. Here is a super handy trick i have read about and used! Ducklings loose their appetite when they are cold. I put my three week old ducklings out on a sunny but cool (55f) day. They seemed fine but their feed consumption dropped in half. A few days later they went out again and they were eating well, Its like a built in temp gauge!

Well, I will say it was very noticeable to me once the ducklings were cold, and as I mentioned above, them huddling together doesn't necessarily mean they are cold, they may just be snuggling. The big difference I notice is when they are cold they try very hard to get comfortable, but fail to do so. When they are warm they all lay in a big pile, no problem.

I've never heard of judging how cold they are by their feed intake, but, I guess, that may be due to the overall decreased movement if they were cold.

In the past, I’ve trucked the 3 week old ducklings in a laundry basket over the the duck house so they can get used to being outside a bit. Then back to my spare bedroom early evening. I did this for about a week and a half.

At about 5 weeks (late May/early June) they were in the duck house full time, but separated by fencing from the older ducks.

by 6.5 weeks, they were outside with supervision. Once they discover the pond, they pretty much stay there all summer. (Except evenings, of course.)

Back
Top Bottom