When can I candle quail eggs???and help plz

Thanks for your reply, these are Coturnix eggs. I just went and candle them again, out of 24 there is 3 eggs that is dark. Dark as in even the air sack is hard to see. whereas the rest either have red veins and or a very translucent air sack with a redish glow....

All eggs were float tested prior. first 12 eggs held for one day then 2nd day the other 12 hens laid hence we got 24 eggs ( 2 days worth of eggs) so pretty fresh.

males to females 1:6 two cage with 1:6 ratio.

I have marked the three dark eggs, i will let it continue and make note when comes time. Exciting times!

I just hatched my first batch of Cotournix quail and I am getting ready for a second batch. I candled at 14 days since the splotches on the eggs make it hard to see clearly and my candler is designed for larger eggs. The fertile eggs just looked dark and the infertile eggs were clear.

I did not check the temp on my incubator when I set the eggs (it had last been used for chicken eggs over a year ago) so I discovered that the temp was low when I checked before candling. I still had 7 out of 8 fertile eggs hatch and I assisted the 8th egg but the chick is so weak it may die. I have learned that the quail were related so it is hard to know if the unhatched assisted chick is the product of low temps, inbreeding, or just nature.

I did a complete dry hatch in a Little Giant incubator with fan and automatic turner. It is rainy most days so the air humidity is high right now. The quail hatched so fast after pipping that they hatched without any increase in humidity (turner was turned off once they started hatching). I used the chicken rails since that is what I had but I bought quail rails now since the chicks fell through the holes of the turner. I did not know if the hatch would be successful due to the lower incubation temp but I expected it to be delayed so I had not set up the hatcher for them yet.

I have heard quail are easy to hatch but I have also heard they are hard to hatch. My first hatch was super easy as I pretty much put the eggs in and left them alone for 2 weeks. I have raised the temp on the incubator slightly so hopefully it will still go well for the next hatch. I don't have hugely accurate thermometers so it is a guess sometimes. I go with "if it works leave it alone" but my daughter had turned down the temps during a heat spell instead of just lifting the lids to cool the eggs so now I am going through them and calibrating them as close as possible with the thermometer I have (indoor/outdoor digital with outdoor probe that reads slightly cooler than the indoor temp reading). As long as it is in the right range without being too high that it is prone to temp spikes I will let it be and not measure the temp again.

Hi this is my second time hatching quail eggs and I'm worried because I've 3 different breed in the incubator at the same time, I'm doing dry hatches as that's what's recommended to me by a nearby breeder but I'll be raising the humidity during the last 3 days . What do people recommend for lockdown???last time I used the 15 day and I got 26/48 quail. Now I've 60 eggs in, I am worried because I've put a light bulb under the eggs to keep the temperature at 38.8 c it's only 10w as the incubator it self is 40w, I've 2 fans running constantly, would there be any problems with my hatch??? And when can I candle these eggs????
I have a dozen of little white quail and it's been 4 days since they went into there even and I candled mine yesterday all but 4. And out of those i seen six chick veins running through them. So mine was starting to show I'll be checking again tonite to see how many more show veins. Sorry for my language but it's the easiest way to explain. I'm sure not to many people call it there ovens.

Back
Top Bottom