What's the temperature where you are???

Screenshot_20240114_095820_Weather.jpg

It's -10F right now, feels like -19F. I assume since the coop is wind proof it's not as cold in there, I need to get a temp and humidity guage for the coop... I'm really worried about my chooks. Anything to help ease my mind? I don't have water in their coop and plenty of straw/bedding on the floor. I just went out to give them some food (treats) and water they were very active and making excited noises to see me. I thought I saw some dark spots forming on their comb/wattles. Anything I can do? We have at least 2 more days of negative temps!!

It's -10F right now, feels like -19F. I assume since the coop is wind proof it's not as cold in there, I need to get a temp and humidity guage for the coop... I'm really worried about my chooks. Anything to help ease my mind? I don't have water in their coop and plenty of straw/bedding on the floor. I just went out to give them some food (treats) and water they were very active and making excited noises to see me. I thought I saw some dark spots forming on their comb/wattles. Anything I can do? We have at least 2 more days of negative temps!!
Never had a chicken freeze to death here. Not much you can do to stop frostbite when it gets that cold. Most times it isn't too severe and it isn't really noticed. Big combed roosters can suffer the most because they don't tuck their head under a wing at night like hens do.

Keep the bedding thick, drafts blocked but enough ventilation to remove moisture, extra grains or scratch, warm water to drink, and thick roosts so they can cover their toes at night. South facing windows can give them some sun. We don't add extra heat here. Birds do fine.

Back
Top Bottom