What's the temperature where you are???

What level is that? I know a swamp cooler won't work for me, but curious as to how low the humidity needs to be. I would have thought desert SW would work all the time.
It's 9% humidity outside right now. The swamp cooler is basically worthless when the humidity is higher than 25-30%, I think. I haven't charted it or anything so I'm not positive but I think that's about right.

We have five seasons which includes two summers. First summer is dry summer, which is March-June-ish, when humidity starts out low (sometimes down to 1% which KILLS me) and slowly increases. Swamp coolers do okay in March and become increasingly ineffective as it gets closer to July.

Second summer is wet summer, July-ish through October. The temps don't really come back down to normal until after Halloween although you can usually start going outside again in October. You're basically stuck inside from May-October.

It's like winter in the north when you're stuck inside for six months but the opposite, here you're stuck inside for spring-fall and you go outside fall-winter. It's a weird way to live. You lose half the year, every year. I don't understand why people like it but to each their own.

Second summer is more humid. We get rain in July and August. It gets so hot and humid that you can't stand it and then in finally rains. But it has only rained once so far this summer. That's dry for second summer. I don't know why the humidity has dropped so much today, it's unusual but I'm grateful since it means the swamp cooler is a little more effective.

August is also tarantula season (no, I'm not kidding). 😳

It's 9% humidity outside right now. The swamp cooler is basically worthless when the humidity is higher than 25-30%, I think. I haven't charted it or anything so I'm not positive but I think that's about right.

We have five seasons which includes two summers. First summer is dry summer, which is March-June-ish, when humidity starts out low (sometimes down to 1% which KILLS me) and slowly increases. Swamp coolers do okay in March and become increasingly ineffective as it gets closer to July.

Second summer is wet summer, July-ish through October. The temps don't really come back down to normal until after Halloween although you can usually start going outside again in October. You're basically stuck inside from May-October.

It's like winter in the north when you're stuck inside for six months but the opposite, here you're stuck inside for spring-fall and you go outside fall-winter. It's a weird way to live. You lose half the year, every year. I don't understand why people like it but to each their own.

Second summer is more humid. We get rain in July and August. It gets so hot and humid that you can't stand it and then in finally rains. But it has only rained once so far this summer. That's dry for second summer. I don't know why the humidity has dropped so much today, it's unusual but I'm grateful since it means the swamp cooler is a little more effective.

August is also tarantula season (no, I'm not kidding). 😳
Oooo spiders! I am a spider fan, not that I would want them crawling everywhere but I really think they are amazing!

I know few would agree with this but for me high humidity is so much better.

Low humidity HURTS! Burning eyes/nose/throat, nosebleeds, hair like straw, cracked and bleeding skin and lips, red and inflamed eyes, asthma, coughing.

Low humidity destroys everything: car interiors and tires, leather goods, antiques, lawn furniture, pools, musical instruments, paint, home exteriors, plastic or wood anything, ruined clothes and bedsheets (from the nosebleeds).

No thank you!!!

I've spent summers in Georgia and Alabama and Arizona. I'll take GA and AL any day. High humidity and heat can be miserable and low humidity and heat can be miserable but I've never had high humidity hurt me and destroy everything which is very expensive!
That is like in the far north/arctic, the temps are sooooo cold and dry, my skin cracks and everything so dry, I run a humidifier 24/7 when I am working up there in the winter.

And when you get a cold or the flu - OMG your nose and throat are Just like fire it’s so sore and dry. I keep a scarf on all the time - well actually now I use a mask as it works better than a scarf at keeping the cold dry air out of you nose and throat! And my eyes - gaaaaaahhhhh! So dry I can’t get the lids open at night if I don’t use my humidifier!

Agreed humid is better! Even here in the summer - hot hazy and humid 😊 frizzy hair weather !

Feels 86 @ 5 am
IMG_1463.png
IMG_1460.png

Back
Top Bottom