What would I get???

J-Habs

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
Silverudd rooster over barred olive egger hen. Will I get autosexed because of the barring? What might they look like?
20240118_153952.jpg
20240120_115528.jpg

Will I get autosexed because of the barring? What might they look like?
I think so.. Is she just barred or is there more pattern (partridge etc), I can't see her body.

Offspring should be blue pullets (solid head at hatch) and blue barred cockerels (white spot on head at hatch).

They will all be straight combed. Crest will be minimal if any.

I think so.. Is she just barred or is there more pattern (partridge etc), I can't see her body.

Offspring should be blue pullets (solid head at hatch) and blue barred cockerels (white spot on head at hatch).

20240120_115555.jpg

How would it be blue? Is the rooster a blue gene carrier? I haven't really figured out the chicken genetics yet.

How would it be blue? Is the rooster a blue gene carrier? I haven't really figured out the chicken genetics yet.

The rooster looks splash to me.

One copy of the blue gene turns black into blue (a gray shade.)
Two copies of the blue gene turns black into splash (a light gray color, with "splashes" of black, like what your rooster is showing.)
Your hen has no copies of the blue gene, so she shows actual black in her feathers.

When you cross them, the rooster gives one blue gene to each chick, and then hen gives no blue genes. That means every chick has exactly one blue gene and one not-blue gene, so every chick is blue (all black on the bird turns into the gray shade that is called "blue.")

The rooster looks splash to me.

One copy of the blue gene turns black into blue (a gray shade.)
Two copies of the blue gene turns black into splash (a light gray color, with "splashes" of black, like what your rooster is showing.)
Your hen has no copies of the blue gene, so she shows actual black in her feathers.

When you cross them, the rooster gives one blue gene to each chick, and then hen gives no blue genes. That means every chick has exactly one blue gene and one not-blue gene, so every chick is blue (all black on the bird turns into the gray shade that is called "blue.")
The rooster is a Silverudd, also known as Isbar. I'm new to this breed, but I don't believe they are splash. I could be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom