What to use

JFF12

Chirping
Sep 4, 2022
I’ve had success with the tomcat boxes but now that doesn’t seem to be working. I need help. I need something for my coop. I’m going to get different feeders so there’s less waste but I need something that will kill mice/rats. And if you have a better idea for feeders than pvc let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is getting a cat or two out of the question? If not, you can usually get free barn cats, all fixed and vaccinated from the Human Society. You just have to keep them in your house a couple of weeks so they will stick around when you let them out. We have two.

Otherwise, here's a post about how to eradicate them.

I used to use pvc long tubes as feeders. Not a fan of them, but I still have a couple stored in the garage. What I use now are lidded buckets that have 3" holes drilled in them. Then you fit the holes with pvc coupling type tubes (for lack of a better description) that the chickens stick their heads in to feed. The work and there's less waste. You can buy them at D & B Supply, Tractor Supply and online at Temu or Amazon.

Attachments

• 20240517_005347 (1).jpg
    20240517_005347 (1).jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 2
Can you repel the rodents? They hate mint.
"... mint (especially peppermint), catnip, rosemary, sage, lavender, oregano, and basil are the most effective..."

While waiting for the plants to grow, you can mix peppermint essential oil and water. Use a spray bottle and spray all around the chicken coop and run. You will need to reapply after a rain. I would still use some kind of trap until they stop getting trapped/killed.

I’ve had success with the tomcat boxes but now that doesn’t seem to be working. I need help. I need something for my coop. I’m going to get different feeders so there’s less waste but I need something that will kill mice/rats. And if you have a better idea for feeders than pvc let me know. Thanks!
OIP (2).jpg

I've never heard of a first person report where scent has driven off rodents. Someone provide a case if they have personally witnessed this ever happening.

If you want to eliminate rodents you start by doing a forum search for rodents/rats/mice and chickens. What you will learn is that there is only one sure way to eliminate the problem....

And that is to stop feeding them.

Force them to hustle for natural food and the natural predators will limit their numbers.

Treadle feeder purchased has to be your first move, then bulk feed in metal trash cans or barrels, clean up the pathways they use to get back and forth from their burrows to their food source. You will spend less than $100 for a good U.S. made feeder that is actually rat proof plus 30 to 40 bucks shipping these days. More for the larger feeders but you can get one for under a hundred bucks.

Or make a hobby out of this. Have hubby sit up with a gun, try all sorts of old wives tale remedies, buy copious amounts of red pepper, traps, poison baits.... but in the end if you want to deal with the problem you stop feeding the rodents and they either leave or starve. You do need some full size birds to use a treadle feeder and the money to buy one but you are already paying for a treadle feeder without owning one.

Back
Top Bottom