What to feed new hatched mourning doves?

stephanie1992

Songster
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Central California (Denair/Turlock)
I rescued two dove eggs from a abandon nest and incubated them. They are hatching now but ive been reading and havent found out what to feed them. I have Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula for all baby birds. Can they eat that? I know how to feed baby birds as ive raised baby birds before. But the only doves ive ever raised were 2 weeks old. Ive always fed this to my birds.

Yes use the and feeding formula. I've not fed ones that young, but I normally take a eye dropper black rubber top, or a baby nipple, cut a hole in the rounded end and insert a full syringe into it. The baby can fit its beal into the rubber top or nipple like it does it's moms mouth. Slowly push the plunger of syringe. Formula has to be a little more watery then pancake batter

Yes, kaytee works fine, but you can make one of the "Mac milk" recipes or similar for the first few days to try to make up for the missed crop milk pigeons feed. Make sure you are feeding food that is the correct temperature so as not to chill the bird or burn the crop. Good luck, and if all goes well, you'll have quite the tame little dove on your hands. :)

Back
Top Bottom