What to feed my 19 week old chicks

Browniechicken

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2023
I have 5 chicks, one laid an egg! The others are on their way I believe. So far I have them on chick feed and want to know how I start putting them on layer feed. I don’t want to over do it.

they need to be on layers now ,they need that protein ,you start them on layers before they lay about three weeks,so the protein in there,always grit,all ways put dust red mite powder around nesting box.

You can give them layer feed now.
Or you can provide a dish of oyster shell, and keep feeding them chick feed.
Either way works.

The only special thing about layer feed is that it has more calcium than chick starter. Chickens are pretty good at eating the right amount of calcium when they have the option, which is why providing a separate dish of calcium (oyster shell) works fine.

they need to be on layers now ,they need that protein ,you start them on layers before they lay about three weeks,so the protein in there,always grit,all ways put dust red mite powder around nesting box.
Check the bag to be sure, but most layer feeds have LESS protein than most chick starters.

Most layer feed has less protein than all flock, grower, etc. The only thing it has more of is calcium.

Putting "mite powder" (you don't specify what) around nest boxes doesn't do anything if there's no mites present. If there are then all continued use of insecticide does is build up resistance in any mites that do survive it.

Most layer feed has less protein than all flock, grower, etc. The only thing it has more of is calcium.

Putting "mite powder" (you don't specify what) around nest boxes doesn't do anything if there's no mites present. If there are then all continued use of insecticide does is build up resistance in any mites that do survive it.
I had to burn a coop that was bespoke cost me a grand plus other that was around it because of red mite , apparently they do get it so now i stop it before it starts. 10kg bag off amazon lasts me .the mites can live for 5 years hidden in roof tops,

Would it be better to keep the chick feed then put the layer feed in a seperate feeder? Or should I mix it?

I’ll check the layer feed to see more about that protein.

Also never knew about oyster shells! Does anyone know the best place to buy them??

Back
Top Bottom