What to do when chickens age out of laying?

I didn't realize that they will send them to you in the mail...I got my last six from Meyer hatchery, and didn't even have to leave the house. I can just order them from the couch! I was worried, but they seem to have been very healthy!
I can't do mail order... I'm fine with paying the feed store to open the box and deal with any deceased chicks. :( (Also many hatcheries have minimum orders, so I'd be limited in my options with only getting 3-4 at a time).

How about looking at chickens that have a lower annual production?
I am just making an assumption but it seems to me that if a 6 or 7 eggs per week chicken breed stops laying after 3.years, a 3 eggs per week breed will lay for 6 years.
That is just an assumption that I am making.
It may be completely false.

How about looking at chickens that have a lower annual production?
I am just making an assumption but it seems to me that if a 6 or 7 eggs per week chicken breed stops laying after 3.years, a 3 eggs per week breed will lay for 6 years.
That is just an assumption that I am making.
It may be completely false.
Chickens, like humans, ARE born with the amount of eggs they will have for their entire life time. Genetics plays a big role in how many that amount is.

Chickens, like humans, ARE born with the amount of eggs they will have for their entire life time. Genetics plays a big role in how many that amount is.
Yes, I am aware of the fact that they are born with all their eggs.
Question is, are different breeds born with different amount of eggs?
If they are all born with roughly the same amount of eggs then there is a difference in the distribution curve.
One pops then out fast and another more slowly.

Howdy all! I wanted to query the group about what people are doing when their birds stop laying due to age. We are new to this and just started our flock, so I won't have to worry about this for a little while, but I want to prepare myself and my family for what will be next. We started our flock for eggs, but these birds have very quickly become family members (my daughters had them named before we made it home from the feed store). If space were not a consideration, I would keep every bird until their natural life ended, but we live in a area where chickens are not allowed, and I am not sure how I would fit more in to maintain egg production. I have no interest in eating these birds, and it doesn't seem like anyone suggests that anyway. I'm curious if others find themselves in this situation, and what they do?
I had this happen this year so I just killed and gave them to the natural predators south of town in country. I couldn't eat them( I don't eat pets or name my food rule) but I too have limited space. So I add a few each year to keep us in eggs.
On the other hand I do have one black Australorp 4 years old that goes broody that I keep to lay on eggs. So she is my only freeloader! ( plus she's one of my fav. 's. )

Yes, I am aware of the fact that they are born with all their eggs.
Question is, are different breeds born with different amount of eggs?
If they are all born with roughly the same amount of eggs then there is a difference in the distribution curve.
One pops then out fast and another more slowly.
Oh sorry! Misundersood. Different breeds are born with different amounts of eggies! :)

Back
Top Bottom