What to do about my roosters mating habits.

MABEchicks

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
Hi! I’m new to chickens and definitely wasn’t expecting to keep a rooster. Since we did I’ve enjoyed the comfort of knowing he’s with them when they are free ranging. I have 5 hens and 1 rooster. My hens are Barred Rocks and ISA Browns and my rooster is a Bantam Silkie. I kept him because I figured he’d be smallish and he was always an odd ball so I liked him. Recently I’ve noticed red bare spots on the back of one of my rocks and I’ve noticed bare spots on some of my ISAs that arnt red but starting to lose feathers. Anyways, it’s at the base of their wings so aprons don’t cover it. My rock looks so bad I feel awful. They just turned 1yo, so he is mature now. They are laying eggs perfectly normal. They don’t seem scared of him. I mean they don’t lay down for him to mount them (should they?) it always seems to be him dancing next to them then grabbing them kinda forcefully but then they don’t run away from him after. I just don’t know if he’s an aggressive mating rooster or his nails are just too long (he has messed up extra toes that are high up and don’t touch the ground so the nails are very sharp and I am going to trim them) I noticed they are what is making the bald spots on the base of the wings. He has started to “Attack” us sometimes, he doesn’t have spurs and he’s small so it’s noting scary, and not all the time, since we started letting them free range, and it’s mostly just with my boyfriend. I know he’s just showing his dominance and we are working on that. Anyways, the girls don’t seem to be scared of him but they still don’t willingly let him mate with them, is he being aggressive if they don’t LET HIM mate? And anything I should do about the red marks? Should I separate her for a few days? I don’t know. Any help would be great. Thanks!
114F3F31-64CE-4D9F-8124-DDEC552CA99B.jpeg
B6CF48AE-66DC-47C6-AB4B-50C8F205CDB9.jpeg
7C396CAE-C051-44A7-B990-07FB3A78B26F.jpeg

Loss of feathers is normal with keeping roosters. I have 3 roosters and currently 19 hens. My girls backs are torn up like that because I have too many roosters. The ratio of hen to rooster is usually 10-12:1. You either need more hens, more aprons, or get hid of the rooster to keep their backs from getting messed up. I am raising up 20+ hens rn so that I don't have to get rid of my roo babys. :D

Greetings MABEchicks,

Yes, roosters can be a challenge for many keepers. But, he's just a little fella...it's his first Spring. He's just doing what roosters do, making more chickens. :D

Get an apron with wing covers for your hens.
PICT0061.JPG

And as far as his attacking you, you'll need to work with him. Let him know you are the boss, pick him up and restrain him. Don't kick him, because that's a sure way to kill him. In the mornings, put him out of the pen so the hens can lay their egg in peace. Put him in another pen, or some place safe, then return him in a few hours. Spend more one to one time with him, teach him words like "no peck". You'll get pecked of course, so protect your wrists, fore arms, ankles etc. Eventually, he'll learn your no threat to him or the flock.

Every keeper has their philosophy on how to deal with roosters. I just prefer to train them, same as I do my dogs and cats. Yes, my cats are also trained.

I have a large Rhode Island Red rooster. I used to call him the Red Devil when he was a cockerel. Now, he comes when I call him, "Mr. Frito, where is my big boy?". I can pick him up anytime, to trim his spurs, scrub his comb, bathe his poopy butt, you name it. He never, ever, pecks me. He'll dance on my shoes, but that's it.
PICT0022.JPG

Many roosters are born with great personalities and are never aggressive. But, rooster behaviors are subject to human interpretation. So, many times if they show any aggressiveness, they are left to become feral. It's no wonder they are sometimes misunderstood, and even feared.

Do your research their are lots of articles here on BYC, about raising roosters.

These are my thoughts on your hens and rooster.
Other members will have advice, please consider them too.

God Bless :)

Greetings MABEchicks,

Yes, roosters can be a challenge for many keepers. But, he's just a little fella...it's his first Spring. He's just doing what roosters do, making more chickens. :D

Get an apron with wing covers for your hens.]

Thank you so much for all that info. I’ve been reading lots of posts on here but I just wanted to show my pictures and make sure my situation was okay. I’m happy that it’s normal and I can get specific aprons or more hens. I’ll also be doing more work with the rooster. I want to keep him around! Thanks!

Loss of feathers is normal with keeping roosters. I have 3 roosters and currently 19 hens. My girls backs are torn up like that because I have too many roosters. The ratio of hen to rooster is usually 10-12:1. You either need more hens, more aprons, or get hid of the rooster to keep their backs from getting messed up. I am raising up 20+ hens rn so that I don't have to get rid of my roo babys. :D

Thank you for responding. I’m glad to know it’s normal behavior! I want more hens but I’ve gotta work on my boyfriend

Greetings MABEchicks,

Get an apron with wing covers for your hens.
View attachment 1355159
And as far as his attacking you, you'll need to work with him. Let him know you are the boss, pick him up and restrain him. Don't kick him, because that's a sure way to kill him. In the mornings, put him out of the pen so the hens can lay their egg in peace. Put him in another pen, or some place safe, then return him in a few hours. Spend more one to one time with him, teach him words like "no peck". You'll get pecked of course, so protect your wrists, fore arms, ankles etc. Eventually, he'll learn your no threat to him or the flock.

Every keeper has their philosophy on how to deal with roosters. I just prefer to train them, same as I do my dogs and cats. Yes, my cats are also trained.

I have a large Rhode Island Red rooster. I used to call him the Red Devil when he was a cockerel. Now, he comes when I call him, "Mr. Frito, where is my big boy?". I can pick him up anytime, to trim his spurs, scrub his comb, bathe his poopy butt, you name it. He never, ever, pecks me. He'll dance on my shoes, but that's it.
View attachment 1355163
Many roosters are born with great personalities and are never aggressive. But, rooster behaviors are subject to human interpretation. So, many times if they show any aggressiveness, they are left to become feral. It's no wonder they are sometimes misunderstood, and even feared.

Do your research their are lots of articles here on BYC, about raising roosters.

These are my thoughts on your hens and rooster.
Other members will have advice, please consider them too.

God Bless :)
Where did you get your hen apron with the wing covers? I am desperately seeking some for two of my embattled hens. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to BYC. Whilst more hens may ease the situation, cock birds mate most frequently with the lower ranking hens so it may or may not work. Keeping him separate from the girls is another option as is eating or rehoming him, if you don't want to breed chickens.

Back
Top Bottom