what size coop do you recommend I build for about 20 chickens

I have 24 chickens and 7 guinea in a 12x12 converted horse stall. Plenty big even if they decide to stay inside in bad weather. They do free range every day.

Last edited:
I would do about 40sq ft (6x7) and let them free range or build a nice run. Of course you can always do bigger.
smile.png
But unless you are doing nothing but free range I wouldn't go any smaller.

I would say at least 10 X 10 if not larger. 12 X 12 would be even better. If it hasn't yet, chicken math is sure to kick in and you don't what to have to get a new coop or build on an addition the minute you get more....
It seems there is always a new breed you want to try. Trust me on this.
smile.png

If you want to go by the so called minimum space standards then you'd want 4 square feet of floor space in the coop per bird. However bigger is always, always better and besides that there are many factors that can affect the amount of space you need. Just consider that you will never be disappointed in having a good, roomy coop with plenty of room for your birds, however you will almost be guaranteed to be disappointed at some point with a coop that is too small. To many potential problems that can arise with to many birds in a tight coop.

Build big! As big as you can! I've got both standard and bantam chickens, with about five sq. ft. per bird, and it's as crowded as it could be in winter when they don't want to play in the snow. I have mellow breeds; more aggressive/ busy birds would need more space. Mary

Back
Top Bottom