What kind of chick is this?

Tiffy316

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2019
She's about a month old. When I got her a month ago, they told me she was an Easter egger. However, I recently noticed her crest, which I've never seen on a chicken before. I couldn't feel a head knot. She doesn't have ear tufts of a beard either. Any ideas what kind of chicken she could be?

Attachments

• 20240305_182649.jpg
    20240305_182649.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240306_144059.jpg
    20240306_144059.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240306_144118.jpg
    20240306_144118.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 7
She's about a month old. When I got her a month ago, they told me she was an Easter egger. However, I recently noticed her crest, which I've never seen on a chicken before. I couldn't feel a head knot. She doesn't have ear tufts of a beard either. Any ideas what kind of chicken she could be?
Very likely a legbar/legvar mix :)
Very pretty little thing!

Cream Crested Legbars are a blue egg laying breed. EE with this breed in the mix don't get muffs, beards, or green legs.
Can you explain to me why that is? Are you saying any cross with a CCL won't receive muff/beard/green legs when crossed? If that is true can you explain why please?

Can you explain to me why that is? Are you saying any cross with a CCL won't receive muff/beard/green legs when crossed? If that is true can you explain why please?

It depends on what the Legbar is mixed with.

Crested Cream Legbars have a crest, single comb, and yellow legs. They do not have muff/beard or a pea comb or legs that are blue or green.

If the CCL is crossed with other breeds that have single combs and yellow legs, the chicks will also have single combs and yellow legs, plus the crest from the CCL parent.

If the CCL is crossed with chickens that have muff/beard, or other leg colors, or other comb types, then yes those other traits can be in the CCL-mix chicks.

Because Ameraucanas have pea combs, muff/beard, and slate (blue) legs, it is common for their chicks to have those traits too, no matter what breeds they are crossed with. If they are crossed to breeds that have yellow legs, it is common to get green-legged chicks in later generations.

That is why Easter Eggers that descend from Ameraucanas often have pea combs, muff/beard, and green legs (they do not have to have these traits, but they often do). Easter Eggers that descend from Crested Cream Legbars will often have a crest, yellow legs, and a single comb (again, they do not have to have these traits, but they often do).

It depends on what the Legbar is mixed with.

Crested Cream Legbars have a crest, single comb, and yellow legs. They do not have muff/beard or a pea comb or legs that are blue or green.

If the CCL is crossed with other breeds that have single combs and yellow legs, the chicks will also have single combs and yellow legs, plus the crest from the CCL parent.

If the CCL is crossed with chickens that have muff/beard, or other leg colors, or other comb types, then yes those other traits can be in the CCL-mix chicks.

Because Ameraucanas have pea combs, muff/beard, and slate (blue) legs, it is common for their chicks to have those traits too, no matter what breeds they are crossed with. If they are crossed to breeds that have yellow legs, it is common to get green-legged chicks in later generations.

That is why Easter Eggers that descend from Ameraucanas often have pea combs, muff/beard, and green legs (they do not have to have these traits, but they often do). Easter Eggers that descend from Crested Cream Legbars will often have a crest, yellow legs, and a single comb (again, they do not have to have these traits, but they often do).
Makes perfect sense. I think I was slightly confused. Read what you were saying originally out of context I think and was interpreting it in that you meant " a bird with a crest genetically cannot also express muff/beard" BUT (LOL) that isn't what you were saying at all 🤦 lol. I think it scared me and caught my attention because I'm considering an EE project that would make a bird that has a nice fluffy crest AND muffs and beards. Lol. So that was what prompted me asking. I was thinking maybe there was some kind of genetic conflict with those traits that I wasn't aware of. Lol. But you were simply saying with the breeds in the birds background it would not also have those traits. Thanks for the info and your patience and kindness! Much appreciated 🌷

Back
Top Bottom